Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Any ideas on what broke t56

Old 03-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any ideas on what broke t56

Ive have a 98 z-28 with around 100,00 miles the trans had started to to grind on the 3 and 4 synchro's i figured i would fix it over the winter, then last fall on the way to the store not abusing the car while in second gear hit a big bump, and from that point on the trans basically sounds like it has internal gear slippage it does it in all gears including reverse.. if i baby it i can get the car to move in first but any throttle increase will cause it the shudder and grind if in a higher gear say 4th the grinding is faster so im guessing its on the output side.... What is everyones thoughts??? I am here in michigan and once the weather breaks i am going to get it out of storage and tore down i am just curious if anyone know what i may find and hard its going to hurt the pocketbook...

Greg
Old 03-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned

First, if the trans "slips" then it has to be the clutch. The manual trans does NOT slip! You also stated it does it in all gears (leaning toward clutch). I would check the clutch before I do anything.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

I totally understand the comment of manual transmissions dont slip. With that said the clutch engages just fine as it should, perhaps my description is a little off.. If i drive it in 1st gear i can get the car rolling just fine but if i smack the throttle the whole car shakes, and with a gear to gear kinda of grind, and it is not in the rear axle either.. if i let the clutch out in like 4th or 5th the car wont move but instead the metal to metal gears in the trans just make a metallic grinding sound....
Old 03-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OneBad98Z
I totally understand the comment of manual transmissions dont slip. With that said the clutch engages just fine as it should, perhaps my description is a little off.. If i drive it in 1st gear i can get the car rolling just fine but if i smack the throttle the whole car shakes, and with a gear to gear kinda of grind, and it is not in the rear axle either.. if i let the clutch out in like 4th or 5th the car wont move but instead the metal to metal gears in the trans just make a metallic grinding sound....
Well, it sounds like the trans is coming apart. Only way to find out is to pull the trans and take it apart. Be prepared for anything! Post here when you take it apart and find what's wrong with it.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS123
Well, it sounds like the trans is coming apart. Only way to find out is to pull the trans and take it apart. Be prepared for anything! Post here when you take it apart and find what's wrong with it.
agreed!

driving the car while the tranny was hurting can only damage it more, possibly making it more expensive to fix.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Still sounds exactly like a worn clutch. Probably worn so much that the rivet heads are chewing up your flywheel and pressure plate with each drive.. The TQ required to turn the drivetrain in higher gears (4th, 5th, 6th) exaggerates a worn clutch, while you can usually continue to ride-the-rivets in the lower gears as the TQ multiplication allows little effort to turn the drivetrain.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Still sounds exactly like a worn clutch. Probably worn so much that the rivet heads are chewing up your flywheel and pressure plate with each drive.. The TQ required to turn the drivetrain in higher gears (4th, 5th, 6th) exaggerates a worn clutch, while you can usually continue to ride-the-rivets in the lower gears as the TQ multiplication allows little effort to turn the drivetrain.
+1 on that.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Launching!

sounds like the rearend is gone.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Sounds like the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel are all gonna be junk.. Pull it all out and see what u find! Let us know what happens, good luck!

Vince
Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Well guys after storing the car for a year and a half fearing i would find the worst i tore out the trans and clutch the trans looks good except for the syncros what happened was it ripped the center out of the clutch disk and was then the center hub was catching on the springs in the disk. So ill admit it, you guys guessing clutch were right. i would have never thought it by the sounds of it.....
Old 03-29-2010, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

stock clutch?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats exactly what happened to me on the stock ls1 clutch.My car was bone stock at the time and it broke on a 3-4 shift at wot.This is why the ls6 clutch was put in all 01-02 cars.The hub that broke is 20% thicker on the ls6 clutch,to prevent this from happening.I thought i blew my trans too but after getting it lugged home i realized it was the clutch,i knew i didnt just blow every gear including reverse is what made me realize that
Old 03-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

The pressure plate says luk on it so i am assuming stock ive had the car for about 10 years, and it held up pretty good overall even with drag radials.. The clutch disk part number comes up as ls6 so i guess i am not sure ...

either way it is going to work out in the end, new syncro's and clutch and hydro's...

Im just glad it was not as bad as i feared..
Old 03-29-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like you broke the stronger ls6 hub then,i guess with added power and slicks it can weaken it to its breaking point
Old 03-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the clutch, ill be really suprised if it anyhting but that...and what are your power adders?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

It's just a Bolt-on car nothing special.... 315/35 drag radials
I have no idea how many miles were on the clutch it's the same onethat was in it when I bought it and I've put 45000 miles on it
Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just a Bolt-on car nothing special.... 315/35 drag radials
I have no idea how many miles were on the clutch it's the same onethat was in it when I bought it and I've put 45000 miles on it
sounds like the clutch then...just get a Monster or Trexilla and be done with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any ideas on what broke t56