Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch opinions

i have a bolt on 98z and have been having shifting problems that im thinking is the pressure plate/ throwout bearing, plus i got 102K miles on the stock clutch lol

right now im thinking centerforce, ls7, or monster
cheap is better!!! but i dont want to cheap out on a clutch

i want a top notch DD clutch but i want something that will really bring my 60ft down as well
i want opinions from people who have experience with multiple clutches, im open to all ideas but i def like the idea of my next clutch lasting as long as the first

and lastly, should i replace the slave cylinder?
OH and what stage should i get? i also dont want chatter or other bs, just a reliable clutch that will grip and go
Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

I would go with a monster. And for the slave yes replace it and if the master is stock you might as well replace it with a new tick piece while you're at it
Old 03-23-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigj2717
I would go with a monster. And for the slave yes replace it and if the master is stock you might as well replace it with a new tick piece while you're at it
agreed with above
Old 03-23-2010, 08:22 PM
9 Second Club

I bought a monster stage 3. havnt run it yet but have heard only good things. will be putting it in soon. just waiting for my MWC 9" rear and it will all go in at the same time
Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

the tick is like $300! lol, do i NEED a new master or can i do the drill mod in the near future and be fine... i kinda like the idea of the stage 3 monster, but im only at like 400max fhp right now so idk if its overkill or if the stage 2 will last longer, i want this clutch to last as long as the first...

or should i go with a cheaper clutch and get the master and everything and pay the same as i would for the monster clutch?

oh, and should i go with the 28lb or 15lb flywheel
Old 03-23-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

In my experience don't skimp on a clutch I usually go with on rated alittle higher then what the car puts out so you have room for improvement. For the flywheel the lighter ones are more for autocross and road racing and the heavier are more for drag racing.

You don't have to get a new master but even with the drill mod some can still have problems and if you do that you'll be kicking yourself later. Also invest in a speed bleeder to make your life a lot easier

Quick Reply: clutch opinions