Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anti-Venom mod?? Anybody done it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-Venom mod?? Anybody done it?

My buddy at work with a Cobra was talking about doing an Anti-Venom mod to make his car shift better. I did some googleing and it looks like everyone with a cobra or corvette who has done it says it makes the car shift much better.

I tried to search on here but my phone won't let me? Lol

anybody done it in an F-body? If so how did it work out?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm. i googled it and basically all it is, is that they remove the detent bolt then put a few (3) copper washers around it to back the bolt off the detent and then put it back in.

Interesting.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like "snake oil"

It would cut down on the arm strength to crash through the detent, but unless you're putting on a very short stick, I can't see it helping performance in any way..
Old 04-12-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Assuming the bolt/detent thing is the same on our T-56's..which Im pretty sure it is...Im going to give this a try. I have a TON of room on the side of my trans, and I plan to change the trans and diff fluid soon. So Im probably going to try it as an experiment.

I dont expect miracles. But Ill take anything that makes for a smoother shift.

Just have to decide what trans fulid I watn to try this time around. Then Ill do it.

J.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Sounds like "snake oil"

It would cut down on the arm strength to crash through the detent, but unless you're putting on a very short stick, I can't see it helping performance in any way..

Ranks up there with smooth bellows.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Meh. Enough folks have claimed that it made a difference for me to try the $4 modification. Not going to make my trans worse. If it makes no change, back on the ramps and out the washers come.

I was thinking...If the detent bolt, or whatever its called, has a ball on the end that is supposed to roll, and that ball becomes worn, so it doesnt roll, that could concievably cause rough shifter movement...no?

I dont know enough about the thing to say...so Ill be a guinea pig and try it. If it works, Ill report back. If it blows up...Ill report back.

J.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

What a terrible "mod"...haha. Cant believe someone was making $60 a pop to produce these results. Yes...the shifter moves easier. No...it doesnt take away the notchiness of the transmission really. Yes...it makes your shifter feel anti-positive and limp.

It doesnt take away the bad notchiness...it takes away the good. I should have known when I pulled the detent bolt, and the little detent ball was clean and free. Nothing to hang up or cause issues. Just keeps things tight.

Honestly, the only thing those two washers did that was good, was reduced the amount of turns it took to tighten the stupid bolt back up.

Anyway...it only cost me $1.80 to try, and its not really hurting anything now. So due to it being such a PITA to get to...Im leaving it until I get back underthere for something else.

On a side note...Mobil 1 ATF made my trans feel like complete garbage compared to the regular Dex III I had in there before. Another piece of advice that I could have avoided from the boards. OH well...live and learn.

J.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
It doesnt take away the bad notchiness...it takes away the good.
As surmised.. No surprise there.. LOL

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
On a side note...Mobil 1 ATF made my trans feel like complete garbage compared to the regular Dex III I had in there before. Another piece of advice that I could have avoided from the boards. OH well...live and learn.
Interesting.. How many miles on your T56 since blockers were replaced? Does it have CF blockers in it? I can see the better M1 making a high-mileage unit more prone to grind, but in newly rebuilt units it works very nicely.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...I had a feeling it was a crap mod. Ill reverse it at some point.

As for my trans...Im not really sure to be honest. It came in my donor car, and the owner of the donor got it second hand. He was told, and I assumed confirmed, that it had been upgraded. Ive never been inside, and Im sure he wasnt. So...for all I know, it could be stock haha. It has the upgraded rear seal and all that...but no clue on the inside.

Im thinking about doing a Stage II Tick package just for a piece of mind before it scatters itself or leaves me stranded.

I also suspect the autozone slave cylinder, though brand new, isnt working like it should. A new GM slave is on my shelf and will go in when the trans comes out again.

Oh well...another day another dollar haha.

J.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well at the very least, thanks for experimenting for us. The beginning of the thread piqued a little interest out of me, but hey, if people didn't try things like this we'd never know. Kudos!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it just didnt do anything for me. Made things feel less connected and a little too "soft". This isnt a honda or a luxury car, and I cant imagine anyone wanting their performace car shifter to be that easy to move around. Oh well...

Quick Reply: Anti-Venom mod?? Anybody done it?