Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone using RPS clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone using RPS clutches?

I was wanting to know if anyone is using the RPS stuff? I did a search and only came up with one hit, and it Tony Mamo!. I went to there site and there single unit is 23 lbs lighter than stock. I just would like to know what you guys think? good or bad. My car is a daily driver making about 450 rwhp.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an RPS single in the car currently, and I'm replacing it with an RPS twin that Tony sold me. The twin is still sitting in the box, but it sure is pretty...
Old 04-17-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I've got an RPS single in the car currently, and I'm replacing it with an RPS twin that Tony sold me. The twin is still sitting in the box, but it sure is pretty...
So what do you have to say about the single?

Last edited by slow ride 02; 04-29-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been a good clutch for me, but I don't drag race the car, and I'm not even sure how much power it puts down these days...I was looking for a light weight setup, and this one came in at 37 lbs - the Ram it replaced was around 58 lbs, so it made a huge difference.

I'm not really sure why I'm replacing it, but I've always wanted to try a twin, and I'm planning on dropping a stroker engine in in the next couple years that will require more than the single could probably handle. The twin is even lighter (33 lbs total), and has carbon friction surfaces that should really hold up well to whatever abuse I can throw at it.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
It's been a good clutch for me, but I don't drag race the car, and I'm not even sure how much power it puts down these days...I was looking for a light weight setup, and this one came in at 37 lbs - the Ram it replaced was around 58 lbs, so it made a huge difference.

I'm not really sure why I'm replacing it, but I've always wanted to try a twin, and I'm planning on dropping a stroker engine in in the next couple years that will require more than the single could probably handle. The twin is even lighter (33 lbs total), and has carbon friction surfaces that should really hold up well to whatever abuse I can throw at it.
Okay, I just got off the phone with RPS, and they dont even make a single any more. They said it was more of a stock replacement clutch and it didnt last very long. They want to sell me the twin you have, but $1700.00? Geez!
Old 04-24-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

any more RPS clutch info
Old 04-25-2010, 01:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah the fuckking suck !!!!! The shop owner that i took my car to thought my RPS was the **** but i only dynoed 394rwhp, took it to the track once and smoked that clutch up like no tomorrow! The shop i take my car to told me to get another RSP twin disc but thats was to much for my blood so i went with a monster level three single and it was the best move that i have made yet!!! Steve has great customer service and the clutch grades like a mother!!! Think they even have a sale this month, idk have to check this form a little more to see.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:20 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call or PM me if you want the scoop and reasonable pricing on any RPS products.

Their latest stuff is really a cut above....the single disc held up well for many customers (my buddy has one behind a 530 RWHP 383 I built for him and has had zero issues).

That said the new dual discs are the **** and offer more grip, less pedal pressure, and smoother engagement.

I was heavily involved in the design and R&D of these units and have personally ran over a dozen different clutch combo's in my Vette....I'm pretty well versed in manual trans vehicles, clutches, and optimizing the entire driveline.

I'm convinced there is bad press on EVERY clutch on the market....a zillion variables that make that a reality (install error, wrong clutch per application, driver error, and occasional bad unit, etc., etc.). Talk to someone you can trust when getting clutch advice (or any advice really.....LOL).

-Tony
Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Call or PM me if you want the scoop and reasonable pricing on any RPS products.

Their latest stuff is really a cut above....the single disc held up well for many customers (my buddy has one behind a 530 RWHP 383 I built for him and has had zero issues).

That said the new dual discs are the **** and offer more grip, less pedal pressure, and smoother engagement.

I was heavily involved in the design and R&D of these units and have personally ran over a dozen different clutch combo's in my Vette....I'm pretty well versed in manual trans vehicles, clutches, and optimizing the entire driveline.

I'm convinced there is bad press on EVERY clutch on the market....a zillion variables that make that a reality (install error, wrong clutch per application, driver error, and occasional bad unit, etc., etc.). Talk to someone you can trust when getting clutch advice (or any advice really.....LOL).

-Tony
I agree with you about that there is bad press on every clutch and there are many variable in witch a clutch will fail but from my experience, the single disc was not a good clutch, probably the reason why it was discontinued!

You and a couple of others say "my buddy this" or " My customers this" but what i really want to know is what vehicle is this in? Whats the exact wieght of the car ? Dose you buddy and or customers take thier cars to the track at all, or are they just another person that brags about how much power he has? What rpms dose they launch at? what tires are they using?

Now of course it will do good in a 3200 lb vette that see's lill to no track time or that only launches at 2500 rpms, but i got a 3600 lb car that i launch at 5500 -6000rpms so there is a lil difference there.

We are all intitled to our own opinions and mine just differes from yours! The guy who made this post asked for advise so i gave it from one consumer to another!! Not a buisness owner talking his product up just to make a sale here!!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tyler ovel
I agree with you about that there is bad press on every clutch and there are many variable in witch a clutch will fail but from my experience, the single disc was not a good clutch, probably the reason why it was discontinued!

You and a couple of others say "my buddy this" or " My customers this" but what i really want to know is what vehicle is this in? Whats the exact wieght of the car ? Dose you buddy and or customers take thier cars to the track at all, or are they just another person that brags about how much power he has? What rpms dose they launch at? what tires are they using?

Now of course it will do good in a 3200 lb vette that see's lill to no track time or that only launches at 2500 rpms, but i got a 3600 lb car that i launch at 5500 -6000rpms so there is a lil difference there.

We are all intitled to our own opinions and mine just differes from yours! The guy who made this post asked for advise so i gave it from one consumer to another!! Not a buisness owner talking his product up just to make a sale here!!
FYI, I was not looking to be argumentative with you or try to push aside what you had posted (in fact my response was very general in nature and not directed at you personally) and I honestly have no problem with the opinion and experience you shared.

However, you must realize that RPS offered that single disc unit for numerous years and alot of guys ran them with zero issues.

You had a bad experience unfortunately and I can respect that. But we are really heading quite a bit off track discussing a clutch they no longer make nor did I recommend.....my post was more directed at what they produce now and its quite a bit better than the stuff they produced even a year or two ago.

And I'm not here hawking or helping promote RPS because I can sell it.....if I thought brand XYZ was better I could just as easily promote and sell that. I know management well (good honest hard working people) and I know the product well....especially the new stuff....and IMO it's one of the best dual purpose street/strip clutches out there. And while I cant say I have run them all, Ive ran alot more brands and different style clutches than most consumers ever will in their lifetime, not to mention my reputation is everything and I wouldn't endorse a product I didn't believe in or run myself (and I will be installing another RPS twin disc in my next stroker build to be completed in the next few months).

-Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 04-28-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
FYI, I was not looking to be argumentative with you or try to push aside what you had posted (in fact my response was very general in nature and not directed at you personally) and I honestly have no problem with the opinion and experience you shared.

However, you must realize that RPS offered that single disc unit for numerous years and alot of guys ran them with zero issues.

You had a bad experience unfortunately and I can respect that. But we are really heading quite a bit off track discussing a clutch they no longer make nor did I recommend.....my post was more directed at what they produce now and its quite a bit better than the stuff they produced even a year or two ago.

And I'm not here hawking or helping promote RPS because I can sell it.....if I thought brand XYZ was better I could just as easily promote and sell that. I know management well (good honest hard working people) and I know the product well....especially the new stuff....and IMO it's one of the best dual purpose street/strip clutches out there. And while I cant say I have run them all, Ive ran alot more brands and different style clutches than most consumers ever will in their lifetime, not to mention my reputation is everything and I wouldn't endorse a product I didn't believe in or run myself (and I will be installing another RPS twin disc in my next stroker build to be completed in the next few months).

-Tony
different strokes for differents fokes

Quick Reply: Anyone using RPS clutches?