Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW is very noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGW is very noisy?

I have started running an MGW shifter in place of my factory hurst. I left the rubber boot on. I find that I get soo much gear whine in the car, it can be louder than the engine sometimes. Anyone else experience this? I tried installing a rubber gasket between the shifter and the tranny and that helped a bit but it is still really noisy. I like the way it feels but I can't stand the noise. Any ideas?
Old 05-01-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99SS_C170
I have started running an MGW shifter in place of my factory hurst. I left the rubber boot on. I find that I get soo much gear whine in the car, it can be louder than the engine sometimes. Anyone else experience this? I tried installing a rubber gasket between the shifter and the tranny and that helped a bit but it is still really noisy. I like the way it feels but I can't stand the noise. Any ideas?
mine is pretty noisy at idle
Old 05-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Mine is quiet at idle, its most noticeable accelerating under load, like if you step on it on the highway without downshifting or around town.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Mine is noisy as well after installing the mgw shifter and I noticed it the day it was installed, still have the rubber boot installed correctly also. Had transmission fluid replaced with dexron III and still the same tranny gear noises.

Gonna try putting a little gm synchromesh or royal purple synchromax and see if that quiets it down at all. Not totally sure if its ok to mix it with the dexron but I doubt it is considering other additives people use.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extra transmission whine is what you get when you replace a rubbery stock shifter with a solid shifter. I called MGW about this when I got mine and they said it was normal. I think as long as you don't have excessive whine there's no problems.

Mine is loud in 1st, 5th, 6th, and reverse. The noise in 5th and 6th goes away when the transmission is warm, and 1st really isn't that bad. I don't care about reverse cause usually I'm driving forward!

Originally Posted by 99SS_C170
Mine is quiet at idle, its most noticeable accelerating under load, like if you step on it on the highway without downshifting or around town.
lol, yeah. Mine only really makes noise when I'm on the throttle in those gears, with my foot off the gas there's no nosie