Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default t56 question

this is my first manual (a4 to m6 conversion a couple months ago) and i have a quick question.

sometimes while coasting with the clutch pedal depressed i notice that the shifter will not slide into gear until the car speed slows down to the right speed for that gear. example: slowing down from 50mph to 15mph to go around a traffic circle i will hold down the clutch, coast, and brake accordingly but i the transmission doesnt want to go into 2nd until the car slows down to around 20mph. now i never really yanked on the stick to try and force it because i figured this was normal but i thought i'd ask. it has actually saved me from selecting the wrong gear once or twice. does not happen when downshifting in traffic from 6th to 5th or 4th to 3rd etc.

trans is a level 2 rebuild from tick ~1500 miles on it. clutch is a monster 3, tick master. shifter is hurst billet +
Old 05-03-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does no one knows = normal?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try double clutching it and/or rev matching when downshifting. when you disengage the clutch for a period of time, the speeds of everything in the tranny aren't synchronized well with respect to the flywheel speed, and will take a little force to engage the dog gear. i'm not sure about your setup, since you did an A4/M6 swap, but if you have the infamous "skip shift" engaged, it might be limiting you somehow. mine was disabled when i bought my car so i've never experienced it....
Old 05-03-2010, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by samb0ness
try double clutching it and/or rev matching when downshifting. when you disengage the clutch for a period of time, the speeds of everything in the tranny aren't synchronized well with respect to the flywheel speed, and will take a little force to engage the dog gear. i'm not sure about your setup, since you did an A4/M6 swap, but if you have the infamous "skip shift" engaged, it might be limiting you somehow. mine was disabled when i bought my car so i've never experienced it....
+1 on rev matching. Skip shift shouldn't effect that at all. When you're downshifting, rev the RPM to approximately where it would be for the gear you're shifting into. You especially need to do this if you're trying pass someone or something of the sort and downshift to 2nd at like 50.

Quick Reply: t56 question