Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 rebuild help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 rebuild help

Hi

I am currently rebuilding my t56 gearbox out a vauxhall monaro but i have already run into a few issues.

I am using the following guide

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-write-up.html

along with the T56 manual.

I have taken the slave and the rear case off, removed the rubber seal and snap ring and i am trying to pull the vehicle speed rotor off but struggling.

Does this look okay? The problem i am having is that the shaft is spinning, how do you guys stop this. Do you guys have help? Hold the shaft from the bottom? Is the shaft of my gear puller large enough? Do you somehow lock the shaft off?

If i am still struggling do you guys have any other ideas in removing the gears in general, apply some heat to the gears?

The problem i had was that i was doing a standing mile event and as i was braking from 150mph i tried to change gear and the gearbox locked me out, when i got it in gear and released the clutch the clutch just ground. So its stuck somewhere between 5th and neutral.

Sorry for all these annoying questions but i am young and want to learn.

Thankyou
Old 05-07-2010, 04:14 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Stick a pipe or rod in between 2 jaws of your puller and the mainshaft.

Hold pipe.

Turn the screw of the puller.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jmd
Stick a pipe or rod in between 2 jaws of your puller and the mainshaft.

Hold pipe.

Turn the screw of the puller.

thanks for this, i will try it
Old 05-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Any other ideas, i managed to pull the vehicle speed rotor up by around 5mm by someone holding the shaft from underneath the bench with a set of soft jaw grips but we cant get it any further.

I tired the pipe method but i must have done it wrong as all it did was push one of the legs of the puller out.

Anyone get any other ideas as i really want to do this myself

thankyou
Old 05-08-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lubricate between the mainshaft and your puller threaded rod, or alternatively, get a M12x1.75 bolt to screw into the mainshaft and use the puller to press against that. You shouldn't need that much force to pull off the VSS.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Lubricate between the mainshaft and your puller threaded rod, or alternatively, get a M12x1.75 bolt to screw into the mainshaft and use the puller to press against that. You shouldn't need that much force to pull off the VSS.
thanks mike i was going to PM you with the same question.

I think some major has broke as my magnets dont look too good

heres a link to a forum that i normally hide on

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...20delete%20mod
Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

It's hard to decern what those larger chunks are on the magnets.

Another thought on the VSS, make sure your puller arms are not catching on the snap ring under the VSS, but are on the VSS itself..
Old 05-08-2010, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

youre doing it right. i would add a little heat to the speedo gear, it wont advesely affect anything. hope all goes well with the 5/6 cluster.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

thanks mike i used stuck the correct bolt in and the puller pulled it off in about 15 seconds with virtually zero effort.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

ok one more question, i've managed to pull reverse gear off and now i am trying to pull the reverse shifter fork and synchro off.

I have removed the snap ring off the fork and tried pulling the fork and synchro together with no luck. What is the best method, put a puller on the fork and slowly pull the whole assembly up?

Also i have noticed this below the fork, i cant find it mentioned in any of the guides but im not 100% if this would stop the fork from moving, but i assume i would need to knock the pin out to remove the fork below it at a later stage.

again thankyou
Old 05-09-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

A varnish can form under some of the assembled parts on high-mileage units. I usually slip a long shank screw driver into a rubber hose, and gently pry up on the fork, using the 5th gear as a pivot.

The ring on the 5/6/R shift rail usually stays on. It helps move the 5/6 shift fork and won't interfere with anything during the (dis)assembly.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

ok so i have managed to get that shift fork off, it required a bit of help from a mallet onto the shaft whilst using a screwdriver which was covered in loads of tape to prise up onto it whilst at the same time pulling the synchro.

ok now next question, the top bearing on the countershaft, is the only way to remove it by using a bearing separator like the one linked below?

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...DA-PT0061-.jpg

Then i assume its the same procedure with the shift fork once the other gears, snap rings etc have been removed?

Thankyou
Old 05-09-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gsd2000
ok now next question, the top bearing on the countershaft, is the only way to remove it by using a bearing separator like the one linked below?

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...DA-PT0061-.jpg

Then i assume its the same procedure with the shift fork once the other gears, snap rings etc have been removed?
You don't need to remove the extension shaft bearing unless it's damaged or being replaced. You can pull the shaft up and out and it will pull out of the synchro slider and 6th gear without much trouble.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

You don't need to remove the extension shaft bearing unless it's damaged or being replaced. You can pull the shaft up and out and it will pull out of the synchro slider and 6th gear without much trouble.
hmmm, tired this and it didn't budge.

Is it okay if i took the scenic route and removed the bearing etc?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Are you talking about the countershaft, or the extensionshaft ? It's not a problem if you remove any bearing, just means you have to put a new one on. But for the extensionshaft, removing the bearing does nothing to help the R&R.

You can remove the snap-ring holding the 5-6 fork on the rail and try to work everything up & out also, but you'll probably end up pulling the slider (&fork) off of the hub anyway because of all the things going on at one.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

i tried pulling on the countershaft extension, which i thought was the at the top in the picture below with the bearing on top.

So was i pulling on the wrong shaft?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

i tried pulling on the countershaft extension, which i thought was the at the top in the picture below with the bearing on top.

So was i pulling on the wrong shaft?
Nope, that's the correct one.. Grasp it firmly with both hands and yank it right up and out... If it doesn't want to come up, keep downward pressure on the fork to keep it from binding.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Nope, that's the correct one.. Grasp it firmly with both hands and yank it right up and out... If it doesn't want to come up, keep downward pressure on the fork to keep it from binding.
ok, i will give it another go if it still doesnt go then remove the bearing etc and refit a new bearing during the rebuild
Old 05-09-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

ok, i will give it another go if it still doesnt go then remove the bearing etc and refit a new bearing during the rebuild
Again, The bearing removed will do nothing to help with the teardown. You have to lift out the extension shaft, with with or without the fork and slider at the same time..
Old 05-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

ok i see, i assumed if i pulled the bearing off, i could then pull 5th drive gear off and then pull the fork off.

I will remove the fork snap ring and try to take everything off with the fork.

All i can say is that you have been extremely helpful 85MikeTPI

Quick Reply: T56 rebuild help