Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best overall shifter for my M6

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best overall shifter for my M6

Currently have the Hurst Short shifter. Is there anything else avail that would be an approvement for a better shift? 3rd gear is killing me!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
Currently have the Hurst Short shifter. Is there anything else avail that would be an approvement for a better shift? 3rd gear is killing me!
The Pro 5.0 is supposed to address the 3rd gear shift. I still have a hard time even with the Pro 5.0... idk might just be me though.

Another shifter that is popular right now is the MGW. I have never ran it so idk how good it really is. I may buy this one day to replace my Pro 5.0 just to try it out.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

I hear nothing but good things about the Pro 5.0. I don't mind my Hurst..I will do the change over to 5.0 at some point if need be.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is third killing you cause it wont go into gear, or because you are missing the gate entirely?

Could be the common problem with the hydraulics that is plaguing you, and not the shifter.

Read about the drill mod.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Pro 5.0 and I LOVE it! Firm and very positive feel between gears -- it isn't slushy and you clearly know when you're in the gear and when you aren't.

As for the 2-3 shift, it's almost linear so you completely bypass the up-over-up gate formation.....I haven't missed third since I installed it 15K miles ago.

As stated above, make sure you're issue with getting into 3rd properly isn't actually related to the clutch, hydraulics, etc.

There are plenty of other great options out there (B&M, etc.) -- at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference. If you have a buddy with an f-body and an aftermarket shifter, ask him (or her) to let you take it for a quick drive to get a feel for things.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

I have the hurst and never had a problem with it but also heard good things of the pro 5.0
Old 05-11-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
It isn't the shifter it is you. Your technique is flawed. Been using the Hurst Shifter with an extra short shaft for over 8 years, 200,000 miles and hundreds of power shifts through the gears without any problems. There are many articles on correct gear shifting technique. Find one read it and practice till you get it right. It can be something as simple as the way you hold the gear shifter. If your technique is flawed it will still be flawed no matter what brand of shifter you use. Shifting gears is something that needs to be practiced like any other physical activity. Ronnie Sox was the best there ever was at banging gears and he practiced to get to that level of expertise...
Old 05-11-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slt200mph
It isn't the shifter it is you. Your technique is flawed. Been using the Hurst Shifter with an extra short shaft for over 8 years, 200,000 miles and hundreds of power shifts through the gears without any problems. There are many articles on correct gear shifting technique. Find one read it and practice till you get it right. It can be something as simple as the way you hold the gear shifter. If your technique is flawed it will still be flawed no matter what brand of shifter you use. Shifting gears is something that needs to be practiced like any other physical activity. Ronnie Sox was the best there ever was at banging gears and he practiced to get to that level of expertise...
Maybe you could point us to these articles you speak of ?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

i have a pro 5.0 and it is 100% better than the crap stock shifter... my car didn't have the hurst shifter so i dunno how those are... the only thing with the pro 5.0 is it transmits noise from the trans through the shifter stick... you can use gasket material in between the trans and mounting plate on the shifter to quiet it down a bit... i did this to mine and when i had stock exhaust it was noticeable at idle and now i have duals and i never hear it anymore... you could always turn the radio up too if it bothers you that much haha... mgw makes nice stuff too, my buddy had a mustang with an mgw shifter and it felt great but i can't vouch for them in our cars... if i ever have a reason to switch my pro 5.0 out, which i don't really see happening, then i might try the mgw
Old 05-11-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deelong4002
is third killing you cause it wont go into gear, or because you are missing the gate entirely?

Could be the common problem with the hydraulics that is plaguing you, and not the shifter.

Read about the drill mod.
I agree about the stock hydraulics being the biggest problem with not being able to shift at times with these cars. The stock shifter can contribute to it as well with that rubber bushing thats built into the shifter rod. It flexes & can cause inaccurate shifter placement. Because of this & having shifting problems at the track one of my first mods was a 5.0 shifter. I do like the shifter with its offset design better & I dont miss a shift with it now but at the time I still had problems shifting the trans.
I have heard very good things about the MGW shifter, might have bought one but I tried a 5.0 & liked it.
Shortly after I installed an LS7 clutch & new slave cylinder. While I had it out & removed the master & did the drill mod. None of this made any difference. I have had people at the track tell me they change their clutch fluid all the time so if I do that it will work right. Not buying into this as I did change all the fluid when I did the drill mod & slave & nothing changed. I ended up replacing the master cylinder with the Tick master cylinder & that took care of the problem. It has a very firm feel & it works great. I honestly havent missed a shift since.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Subscribed.

My car has the optional Hurst shifter, and I've never had any problems. I don't race the car though. It's a lot nicer than any other manual I've driven, even though that hasn't been very many.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

I guess I'll be the odd ball and say B&M since thats what I run in mine. I have really tweeked it though with the adjustment screws so it's awesome as far as I'm concerned.

As mentioned above though, have your hydraulic issues (if any) worked out and fixed and also try to better your shifting technique. Not saying yours sucks or that I'm the best at it but theres always room for improvement. The only time I've missed a gear in my car has been due to hydraulics. I have all that straight now and continue to regularly maintain the system without any problems for the past 5 years. So if your fluid is dark then it needs to be bled with new fluid. If after a week goes by and you check it and it dark again then thats a good sign your slave is bad. Also consider wrapping your clutch line with heat wrap, header wrap, something to keep it as cool as possible and doing the drill mod. As for the master cylinder, well, I've read this and that on all of them, but I run a stock replacement and have ZERO problems with it. I know I got off topic, but wanted to help as much as possible. Main point being that its not necessarily the shifter.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

a Tick mc will solve your shifting problems
Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought a WS6store Short Stick for my factory Hurst shifter and 3rd gear is crisp. Every gear is crisp. Spend $25 and it will solve your problem. But as stated, are you just doing the 1-2-1 GRIND shifting or you getting stuck in the middle of the gate not being able to go into 3rd?
Old 05-15-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

I had the hurst short shifter in mine and would have trouble hitting third at high RPM's. It just hit a wall for a sec.
I put in the B&m Ripper and from day one it was perfect!! Such a huge change.
My hurst was fine till I hit 6 grand then **** hit the fan. :>)
Old 05-15-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Another vote here for the B&M. The 2nd to 3rd shift is the tough one. I was getting really frustrated trying to do a fast 2 to 3 shift. I tried the 5.0 with short stick in someone else's car and really did not like it. It put the shifter down too low in the console for me. I went with the B&M and have been happy ever since.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Oh, I started with the Hurst short shifter as well.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

I have an MGW and I absolutely love it. It has very strong centering springs and the 2nd to 3rd shift is as easy as just pushing the stick straight forward. The centering springs do the rest of the work for you. Mine has only gotten better the more I drive. I would strongly recommend this shifter to anyone thinking of getting an aftermarket one.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Bought a WS6store Short Stick for my factory Hurst shifter and 3rd gear is crisp. Every gear is crisp. Spend $25 and it will solve your problem.
Go this route. Great mod for very cheap.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

many shifter problems can be attributed to the hydraulics (bad fluid, worn slave cylinder etc.) just changing your fluid on a stock clutch setup can do wonders!

Quick Reply: Best overall shifter for my M6