Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

boosted 408 t56 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boosted 408 t56 upgrades

hey guys im looking for ways to upgrade my t56 and who makes the parts. im looking to make at least 800rwhp and wondering if its been done, how and maybe who does the work, and makes the parts. thanks ahead of time, cory
the tranny i have is an lt1 t56. ive already got bellhousing and midplate to convert to lsx, just waiting to decide on mainshaft,etc
Old 05-15-2010, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Tick Performance a call, they can take care of your T56 needs
Old 05-15-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're into DIY, take a look here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ock-parts.html
Old 05-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned

Do a Viper mainshaft conversion along with the billet shift keys, bronze fork pads, upgraded 3-4 fork and call it a day.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

i read that ssr t56 upgrade, kinda crazy but very good-smart ideas. i was just curious what some of the big horsepower guys are doin. i just dont want to waste 2-4000 on the t56 if its not going to be able to hold up. i dont want to go auto but i will if thats the best choice
Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Were have a direct bolt in T56 Magnum for an F-body.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

After checking around, most "big name builders" can put something together that'll hold your goal. If you come across anything that'll hold more than 1200hp, LMK!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Give Johnathon at Tick a call... he took care of me!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all the input. im looking more for what companies make the best t56 internals, not just that can do the work. i know there are quite a few companies doin the work, i wana know what parts there using
Old 06-19-2010, 06:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well there isn't to much you can do for internals. You have Billet keys/springs, Steel 3-4 shift fork, Bronze fork pads and if you want to go above and beyond then you can upgrade the main/input shaft to bigger ones(which are stock for other cars).
Old 06-21-2010, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

im suprised no one makes better gear sets for these trannys yet, at least 1st 2nd 3rd
Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by extremez97
im suprised no one makes better gear sets for these trannys yet, at least 1st 2nd 3rd
The Tranzilla picks up where the stock gears leave off, somewhere over the 1000hp level. They are not the weak link until you get to that point, then you have the RSG gearset as an option. The SSR hybrid bridges the gap between the other weak links of the stock T56 and should carry out to the power levels where the gears are the weak link..
Old 06-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by extremez97
hey guys im looking for ways to upgrade my t56 and who makes the parts. im looking to make at least 800rwhp and wondering if its been done, how and maybe who does the work, and makes the parts. thanks ahead of time, cory
the tranny i have is an lt1 t56. ive already got bellhousing and midplate to convert to lsx, just waiting to decide on mainshaft,etc
Just an FYI, the t56 ssr hybred is not as strong as people make it out to be. The main shaft is strong but since you are using the m12 gear set and have a 2.9 first gear vs the m6 2.6 first gear it is a weaker gear because of the number of teeth and and the gears ratio. Almost all the people on here just pass on what they read off of the other forums or what they heard from an other guy at a meet. If you are going to be launching the car and trully racing it look into what the classes let you run (jerico or lenco) If you are a weekend warior an use it mostly as a street car then there are other things you should think about. You should really look into getting a pump to re route the ATF from the back of the case to the 4th gear and counter cluster. I can explain more if you don't know what I mean. Just pm me. If you are going to abuse this trans and going to make true 1000hp look into the gear sets from http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/. They make some really good stuff. It will run you about $4k for the 1-4 gears.

Sent from Clyde Haight iPhone
Old 06-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
The Tranzilla picks up where the stock gears leave off, somewhere over the 1000hp level. They are not the weak link until you get to that point, then you have the RSG gearset as an option.
Mmmm thats not exactly true. I have a set of input and cluster sitting in the shop from a GTO making around 800 hp with the teeth ripped right off of them. A lot of people do not consider that the heavier the vehicle is, the harder the clutch bites and the harder the rear tires hook will reduce what a stock set of gears can handle.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by haighter
Just an FYI, the t56 ssr hybred is not as strong as people make it out to be. The main shaft is strong but since you are using the m12 gear set and have a 2.9 first gear vs the m6 2.6 first gear it is a weaker gear because of the number of teeth and and the gears ratio.
I've argued this point for several years with the Vette guys. They assume that the Z06 unit is stronger simply because GM used it behind the Z06 and not the C5. Personally, I think they screw up. They should have uses the Z06 unit in the C5 to make up for the loss of power compared to the Z06.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thesource
I've argued this point for several years with the Vette guys. They assume that the Z06 unit is stronger simply because GM used it behind the Z06 and not the C5. Personally, I think they screw up. They should have uses the Z06 unit in the C5 to make up for the loss of power compared to the Z06.
The ZO6 trans are a great trans with lower power levels becasue of the the gears ratios and where the shift points are. They are great for racing just not at high power launching (+700rwhp on +3400lb car).

If you plan on pushing past those number on hard launches you can gain a little head room with the 2.66 gear vs the 2.97's. After that you should look at getting a custom 1-4 set. Don't forget that the total race weight, type of clutch and how it is used in conjunction with cars Hp level all play into how the trans will last and hold up. One of the thing that can kill even a totally built custom trans is lack of oilin the input shafts bearing and main counter shaft cluster. You can kill the trans in less then 1 run.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by haighter
Just an FYI, the t56 ssr hybred is not as strong as people make it out to be. The main shaft is strong but since you are using the m12 gear set and have a 2.9 first gear vs the m6 2.6 first gear it is a weaker gear because of the number of teeth and and the gears ratio. Almost all the people on here just pass on what they read off of the other forums or what they heard from an other guy at a meet. If you are going to be launching the car and trully racing it look into what the classes let you run (jerico or lenco) If you are a weekend warior an use it mostly as a street car then there are other things you should think about. You should really look into getting a pump to re route the ATF from the back of the case to the 4th gear and counter cluster. I can explain more if you don't know what I mean. Just pm me. If you are going to abuse this trans and going to make true 1000hp look into the gear sets from http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/. They make some really good stuff. It will run you about $4k for the 1-4 gears.
The stock SSR is a M10 gear set with a 3.01:1 1st gear, all the other gears share the same ratio as the M12 gear set. This has nothing to do with a "hybred" as you can use any gear set available, even the MM6.

Just in case someone want to pass this info along when they read it here.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
The stock SSR is a M10 gear set with a 3.01:1 1st gear, all the other gears share the same ratio as the M12 gear set. This has nothing to do with a "hybred" as you can use any gear set available, even the MM6.

Just in case someone want to pass this info along when they read it here.
I had a m10 and never checked to make sure. I could of sworn it had a 2.97.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thesource
Mmmm thats not exactly true. I have a set of input and cluster sitting in the shop from a GTO making around 800 hp with the teeth ripped right off of them. A lot of people do not consider that the heavier the vehicle is, the harder the clutch bites and the harder the rear tires hook will reduce what a stock set of gears can handle.
You can always find exceptions to any rule. I've seen stock MM6 T56s get ripped apart by stock motors.

My point is that with the SSR-hybrid, you have the best stock parts together in one unit. If it's built with performance goals/specs and with aftermarket upgrades, it should last better/longer than anything else stock. If anything breaks, you get stock replacement parts and rebuild. If you need more, then open the wallet and go aftermarket.

This of course is for a street/strip car. There are dozens of better options for strip/limited-street cars that include faceplating/dogbox/pro-shifted and racing-only 4 & 5 speeds..
Old 06-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Ok. Looked it up. There are a few later m10's that have the 3.01 gear vs the 2.97. Also the older m10s have a split counter daft and are far weeker then a stock m6 trans. They say it will take about 450hp. The gears for the later m10's are GM only. They haven't released then to be made after market, so they are had to get an pricey.
While building the best bang for the buck trans I would argue that a m6 with a viper main shaft will be the best. When you go with the higher numbers in the 1-3 gears you loose the amount of Hp the gear can take because of the teath that they have. The 2.66 first gear can take more power then a 2.97 and even more them the 3.01. Not to mention the price that you pay to get all new blocker rings for a m6 vs a nm12. Even though the m10 shaft has more splines doesn't make it stronger because the gears are the weak point. Not the shafts at this point.

Quick Reply: boosted 408 t56 upgrades