Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Master cylinder going out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master cylinder going out?

In the past few months I've noticed it getting harder to put the trans into reverse. Especially on a cold start, I would have to put it into 1st and then reverse because it wouldn't even go in at first. Now, 1st is starting to be difficult. Today when I started my car leaving work, I tried reverse twice, 1st twice, on the third try it went into first, and then went into reverse.

It used to just be when I started the car, but now it's all the time. When I'm just sitting at a light for example the light turns green, try to get into 1st and no go, people start beeping at me blah blah and it takes a few times to get it in. This is starting to get ******* ridiculous. I've been wanting to hold off as long as possible on getting a Tick MC because they are pretty pricey but I think my stocker is just about done...

Also, I want to go ahead and change my transmission fluid. It has always felt notchy when shifting but it's gotten worse lately. I tried to read up on what's the best fluid for the T56 but I got so many different opinions on so many different products I think I'm just going to stick with the OEM recommended Dex III. What is the easiest way to change the fluid? I only have ramps, no stands or anything and I really don't want to have to pay some crazy labor cost at a shop. I have 66k miles btw.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:55 PM
tx3
Launching!

Fluid wise, i'd go with regular ATF dex/merc. works wonders. and yeah it looks like your MC might be starting to take a ****.. do you get sticky pedal when shifting at high rpms? 5500+? try bleeding your clutch first.. if that dont fix it.. id look in to an MC. i just ordered a Tick myself..
Old 05-24-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's not real sticky, but it is very hard to shift at high RPMs. Or at least get it into the right gear.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:45 PM
tx3
Launching!

bleed ur hydraulics and try doing the drill mod.. but the best fix would be the tick master..
Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

The drill mod is not worth the effort and time it takes. I realize how shitily the stock master cylinder was designed and I would rather just get the Tick master. When I do replace it, which will hopefully be soon, how do I go about bleeding the system and what fluid do I use?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the Tick. It has a better line, better Hydraulics and over all the best peice out there.

Quick Reply: Master cylinder going out?