Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is it the transmission, or clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it the transmission, or clutch ?

Alright so my 98 camaro's t-56 is being a bugger.

My clutch lets out right at the floor almost, its a spec stage 1 though and i heard they do let out a little early. Regardless, here are some of the symptoms my car is doing !

-My car was having a hard time going into third and fourth, grinding a bit into 4th sometimes, i assumed clutch issue because of how the pedal lets out early

-I replaced the master cylinder hoping that would fix it, but no luck. If i granny shift it into 4th, it wont grind.

- Occasionally gets stuck in third. The other day it was stuck in third, couldnt get it out, tryed pumping clutch and nothing. I finally get it out, pump clutch a million times, wont go back in, then out of nowhere, goes in, comes out perfect and everythings fine.

- Downshifting into third today it was trying to grind, so i slowed down, made it go in, now it feels fine again ! First time ive ever had that happen.

- I can shift all the gears without a clutch and they feel fine....

- My slave cylinder was done by the guy who built the car (very reputable local lsx guy) 7000 km's ago.

- The fluid in my master cylinder keeps going black, but doesnt leak.

- I have bled the clutch with mityvac many times, it never really seems to get better

So heres the thing. Do i bother changing out my slave cylinder, or does this sound like a transmission problem ? It almost seems to me like the slave cylinder is getting stuck in, i just really cant seem to understand the other day how it gets stuck in, then instantly fine, hasn't gotten stuck since. My transmission fluids colour is nice, but i havent drained it to look for metal .Thanks for your help guys n girls !
Old 06-28-2010, 11:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your fluid keeps turning black after multiple times bleeding, the seals in your hydraulics may be compromised.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:28 AM

Alright, an update, now itll make a noise from the trans area when in neutral, push clutch in noise changes a bit, put it in gear noise is completely gone. Grinds going into 4th when in neutral, its gotta be a clutch problem, and the rattling is probs the slave ? Any opinions ?
Old 07-05-2010, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

i had the same problem as u about the 3-4 grinding and such i changed the tranny and no more problem if u keep drivin on it like i did the tranny will get stuck into gear

Quick Reply: Is it the transmission, or clutch ?