Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission is finally done! however I have some questions

Old 06-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission is finally done! however I have some questions

So the t56 is done and I have the stage 2 kit from thegearbox. It makes a slight whine in 1-4 that I can't even hear unless the a/c is off windows up. Then it seems difficult getting out of second gear, not necessarily hard just takes more effort. Is this common in this kind of rebuild? Thanks for any help.

Edit: I also highly recommend the monster stage 3 clutch, best clutch I have used in anything yet!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did it whine before the rebuild? Did you lubricate all the bearings, fork pads, billet keys during assembly? How many miles on the rebuild?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Did you make sure to check ENDPLAY? It sounds like you you have that out of spec. If that is 100% correct then check your shims/spacers when you built it. Is it a M6 or MN12? I would say fist thing too. Dont drive it until you find what it is thats not right. Dont beat on it hoping it will fix itself. If I were you I would pull it apart and re inspect it. It might suck taking it back apart again but worth it vs paying for all new gears because you jacked them up and chipped them because they were set up wrong and heated up and stuff.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Everything was lubricated and endplay was good, I did have to shim it. It has gotten a lot quieter, i actually cannot hear it now. I was reading on another website that it is typical to have some whine when changing the shims do to the gears not being in the same spot as they were. There is probably 30 miles or so on it.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Launching!

What were the specs for the main shaft and counter shaft endplay? The reason I ask is that people think that they are ok or just good. I have seen some really out of spec. They can tilt or walk and this will cause really bad wear, heat and noise. I have seen just about everything that could go wrong with a t56 go wrong. There are a lot of other things it could be but this is the most common.

Last edited by haighter; 06-29-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Around .000-.001, from my understanding it should be between .000 and .003.. correct?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission is finally done! however I have some questions