Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clunk / bang when shifting or disengaging clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here! My car has 56k miles and oz700. In for the answer!!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Teching In

I have the exact same problem in my m6 z28. It's an '02 with 50k. I'm about to change my u-joints because I also had some slack with the driveshaft. I'll let you know the results.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same problem here,when pushing in the clutch to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. was thinking ujoints or torque arm mount,didnt have a chance to check it out before i put it away for the winter so if no answer i will be definately checking it out this spring.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChevyAllTheWay
Its amazing on how common this is. I just replaced my rear end due to broken gears with a 9 inch and now I noticed a major clunking sound while shifting. Its really annoying because if I'm driving at slowly at like 35 in 5th gear...4.11's...and I dont rev match perfectly it makes a really annoying "clunking" sound and the worst part about it is when I have the tranny under a no load condition it kinda jerks me forward and back or when I just let off the gas going from positive load to no load it is extremely noticable that there seems to be slack.

Rebuilt tranny about 50k ago, changed clutch at that time with another stocker. New U-Joints from Napa for the rear end change. Gears were setup by MWC...a little off but definitely not the cause. Slight movement in driveshaft...not up or down just rotational.
i have the exact same problem but i have stock rear end.. clunk when shifting and let off the gas and sometimes jerks back and forth have inspected just about everything underneath several times and replaced tranny mount and still does it.. also have checked U joints and they are good cannot find anything loose when i get it on the rack
Old 05-14-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

didn't really read the thread closely but I had a similar problem and it ended up being a ton of play between the ring and pinion
Old 05-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Teching In

wow that sounds nasty. replace it with a TR6060! lol
Old 05-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Teching In

and a 9".
Old 05-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys I replaced my clutch slave and pilot, problem went away!! Just FYI
Old 01-27-2012, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys I just posted about this exact same problem in Newbie Tech before I found this thread. Anyone else have/had and fixed this issue??
Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Onyx_Black_Z28
Hey guys I just posted about this exact same problem in Newbie Tech before I found this thread. Anyone else have/had and fixed this issue??
see my response above your reply.....
Old 01-28-2012, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by emenny81
see my response above your reply.....
Emenny, thanks for the feedback. I'm curious if this fixed the problem for anyone else with the issue? I am planning to purchase a Tick adjustable master cylinder and a new slave cylinder in a week or so. Did you replace your slave with a factory one? In my newbie thread about this same issue, somebody just mentioned they had rough shifting issues when their slave cylinder started leaking, so I'm thinking maybe that's the culprit.

Is it completely smooth now without the drivetrain kicking around when you push down the clutch?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:34 AM
Launching!

I replaced my clutch because it was bad, i replaced it with an ls7 clutch everything oem, my car is a dd.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by emenny81
I replaced my clutch because it was bad, i replaced it with an ls7 clutch everything oem, my car is a dd.
Ah gotcha - I completely misread what you said. I thought you meant "clutch slave" as opposed to your clutch and slave. I'm going to try and avoid replacing my clutch until I can confirm that the MC and SC are not the culprits. I will post updates as soon as I have a chance to flush/re-fill fluids and swap those two items. Thanks for posting your results to give me an idea of where to start!
Old 01-28-2012, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Default t/o bearing

My 01' ws6 did the clunking and squeeling and mainly just at idle with the shifter in gear and clutch pedal to the floor, if I put shifter in neutral it would stop. I installed LS7/LS2 clutch kit and pilot bearing but it still did it so then I installed a new GM slave cylinder w/new throwout bearing that came installed on the slave cylinder and the noise went away. Well since then ive had my t56 built and did drill mod to hydraulic line and now 38k miles later the t/0 bearing is clunking/squeeling aqain. My big ? is that I have a the OEM slave cylinder and now another slave cylinder with only 38k miles on it and I am going to order a new clutch kit unless I can just buy a ls7 disk if the f/w and p/p are within specs since I am taking the t56 out to fix the t/o bearing. Does anyone know if I can just rebuild the t/o bearing or buy a t/o bearing only so I dont have to spend $145 on another slave cylinder when I have 2 good ones already that have junk t/0 bearings?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Launching!

No problem
Old 01-28-2012, 02:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

cant say I have had this problem yet on any of my t-56s, I know when I changed to a monster 3 on my vette I added a new slave cyl and that thing was super tight on shifting, I also had a aftermarket clutch line so no drill mod and high rpms were easy. it was so tight that it made my tires bark up to 4th gear no clunking going on there.

my stock T/A never had that issue either. I have heard of the exessive play in the output shaft on t-56s an that would definetly cause your clunking and from what I have heard only a rebuild will fix it.

I doubt ALL of you guys have the same issue because anything loose or night aligned from the flywheel down to the rear end will cause a clunk while shifting under power. motor and tranny mounts can also be the culprit.

I would try to basics first, grab a crowbar and check to see if your tranny mount is holding, then move to the motor mounts make sure that there not broke and allowing movment.

theres different ways to tell if the play in the driveshaft is comming from the tranny or the rear end.

for the rear end you will want the wheels in the ground and the tranny in nuetral, then check for movement if the driveshaft will move but the tires are planted on the ground then the play is in the rear end.

For checking the tranny output shaft get the rear tires up in the air and put the car in gear, once again check for play, there will always be some play for sure but it shouldnt be exessive.

Suspension could also be a factor in this as well as torqu on the rear end will cause things to shift if you have bad bushings somewhere. bad lower control arm bushings could c ause a clunk by allowing the rear end pinion angle to shift
Old 01-28-2012, 02:18 AM
Launching!

This seems to happen when people install after market clutch's and forget to shim
Old 01-29-2012, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

I didnt mean to hyjack the thread when I asked if I could order just the t/o bearing instead of another slave/TO bearing assembly, sorry if it pissed anyone off. I agree about the clunking and whining etc. is very likely not the same problems with all these replies.Its just too hard to diagnose someones problem without actually seeing the car in person. One guys clunk is another guys ticking lol. Once you have had every component go bad thru the drivetrain you can usually pin point it again if the part/parts fail again. I've got 38k miles on my ls7 clutch kit,new slave,TO&pilot bearing on my 01 ws6 and I feel that is great! But why is my TO bearing going bad again? The ls7 kit was from a sponsor here and they said the slave/TO worked without shimming. what do I measure to know if it needs shimmed or not?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Thanks 82cetuner for your help. I'm going to try what you said to check.
I'm thinking it is the transmission having some play in it. I always had a little clunk when shifting even when the car was new. It is just louder now after my LS7 clutch and Tick Master install. The clutch is awesome by the way.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have similar issues as posted in this thread. My problems seem to only happen on cold starts when I shift from 1st into 2nd at around 2500rpm. I usually hear a very noticable
"clunk" sound from the rear of the car. I doubt it's gear related as I just recently tore the differential apart to swap out bearings and seals. Finished that up with 2 quarts of M1 synthetic gear oil. The clunking noises seem to go away after the car is warmed up. Clutch is stock from what I'm told, 113K miles.

Quick Reply: Clunk / bang when shifting or disengaging clutch