Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

In depth monster clutch review

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lavoy
thanks for the reply, like i explained on the phone the car is my daily driver and i dont have the time to pull it apart, i basically had to call in favors and have the clutch over nighted and then pull a all nighter to get it done. every bolt was torqued to spec and loctite used, the sound is gone now and its shifting normal again, friday i have another race and we will see how it does, i wont have free time or a helping hand available for a few weeks at least.
Wow thats a sweet car you got there.

Did you manage to get any decent times before the clutch got you worried?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a video my clutch squeal... does it sound like this at all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfJsgZVQN7Q
Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

who did you talk to? seems to me if others have called complaining about sounds then they should have heard of it before. mine was affecting operation it was hanging up making it not shift.
I don't remember at this point, but I had no time to take it out of the car so I got used to it. Other than the noise it was a very good clutch, so I'll assume either A) I did something wrong installing it or B) Maybe got a bad batch of material. I'm not trying to badmouth Monster clutches in any way, just saying I had a noise as well that I couldn't solve. Customer service was great, its just impossible to diagnose things over the phone like that.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the reply, like i explained on the phone the car is my daily driver and i dont have the time to pull it apart, i basically had to call in favors and have the clutch over nighted and then pull a all nighter to get it done. every bolt was torqued to spec and loctite used, the sound is gone now and its shifting normal again, friday i have another race and we will see how it does, i wont have free time or a helping hand available for a few weeks at least.
Not a problem, keep us posted on the next race. Make sure the fluid is clean and go from there.

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I don't remember at this point, but I had no time to take it out of the car so I got used to it. Other than the noise it was a very good clutch, so I'll assume either A) I did something wrong installing it or B) Maybe got a bad batch of material. I'm not trying to badmouth Monster clutches in any way, just saying I had a noise as well that I couldn't solve. Customer service was great, its just impossible to diagnose things over the phone like that.
If it was making the same noise as the video posted above that is material glaze. It has nothing to do with the quality of material, it's due to excessive slipping. This could be remedied by taking the car out to the track and dumping it a few times. After you "knock" the glaze off you need to adjust your driving habits so that it doesn't come back, easy stuff.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TACE02
You know, a little birdie told me that the guy who makes the monster clutch used to work with the guy that designed the Diamond clutch... when I look at the monster clutch it looks just like my Diamond clutch that was installed by Jason at TDP in Ft. Worth, Texas. If this is in fact the same clutch, I would have to say that someone went cheap on the manufacturing of this monster clutch cause I had my Diamond clutch stage 3 for over 3 years and 25,000 miles and had 0 complaints/problems. I only changed it because a dow pin came loose and fell into the bell housing when my new motor was installed last year and it chewed up my pressure plate, I coulda reused it as it didn't cause any real damage just cosmetic, but I figured why not and had a new stage 3 Diamond clutch installed. I stand by Jason, his work, his abilities, and personality. The friendliest guy to talk to and unfortunately he was screwed over and got nothing in return. So if you continue to have problems feel free to call him (Texas Drivetrain and Performance in Ft. Worth, Texas)and get a Diamond clutch, I am sure he will work with anyone and make you a great offer. I personally will not have anything but a Diamond clutch attached to my 408, unless he designs a dual disk.
Actually, you can assume all that you want, but, my units are in fact completely different. You can continue to spout mis-information all you like, bottom line, ours is superior than the "off-the-shelf" units of most others. I'm not going to bad-mouth Jason, it's not in my nature.

I understand that you want to promote the clutch that worked great for you, and by all means, do that. But posting garbage about us copying anyone is plain asinine and is borderline slander. You don't know, and this little birdie is trying to talk up something by using someone elses reputation...
Old 07-13-2010, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Default Fixed it!!!

I recently decided to give monster clutch a try after years of being a ACT and spec user with little to no complaints from me about either. I spoke to steve on the phone for a while before making my decision to change and i am usually pretty good at sniffing out any BS, my BS sensor didnt go off so i took the plunge.

The companies phone manors/ customer service was perfect, the clutch came packaged very well and in perfect condition. The clutch i chose isnt one listed on their site but its basically a level 5 at a level 3 price. What that means is i got the level 3 6 puck disk but i chose a 11 inch pressure plate instead of the 12 inch so this gives me a clutch rated to level 5 tq and hp numbers with only a slightly stiffer pedal then the level 3 12 inch.

The clutch disk felt and looked well made other then the spring retainers seemed a little "open" for my taste but we shall see if i have any problems with a spring popping out or not.

The pressure plate wasnt to impressive in that the rivets and straps and what not all appeared to be of a stock nature and not extra beefy like i am used to seeing in some other clutches i have owned. Again we shall see how well it stays together, the green paint seemed kinda spray bombed on with over spray all over the place but non on the forks or mating surface so i guess thats ok. Again minor fit and finish details that shouldnt affect performance in any way.

For the flywheel i went with the 18 ib version and it is a very nice piece and it seems very well made, the only complaint i have is i had to install the dowels my self and they just didnt want to go in very easily, i used a mini sledge and wacked them suckers hard and they still only went in about half of the drilled hole distance. This should be enough as i doubt they can come loose, i under stand why they include the dowels since different pressure plates use different ones but since they knew which one i was using pre installing them would have been a nice touch and gave me more peace of mind.

Install went smooth other then my throw out bearing did not want to come off the slave, but after much convincing it let go and i installed the new one. I had a spec clutch in before so i removed the shim and measured the monster set up and came up with 2 1/8 at the pp and bell and 2 at the tb and the tranny for a difference of 1/8 inch which is within the specs steve gave me so i used no shim.

With the spec clutch and the shim the engagement was between half way and 3/4 of the pedal travel, when i first went to drive the monster set up it was like 2 inches off the floor and very grabby, that and the light flywheel meant i stalled the car the first attempt i made in moving it, i adjusted the rod at my pedal in a little and got the engagement point off the floor about 3 inches now which is more to my taste.

First test drive impressions are the clutch is very grabby and at first truly more like the fabled on and off switch we always hear about way more then my spec 3+ was, but this will get better as its broken in and a little glaze or smoothing of the pp and flywheel surface is done. After a few stop and goes i was completely adjusted to the new feel and able to more easily slip the clutch a little off the start rather then just jerk and go.

There was no chatter or other strange noises all in all it felt very solid and smooth, pedal effort is fine its something my wife could push in and drive i would say a tiny bit softer then the spec 3+ . I have to complete the break in before friday evening as i have a race to be at and i will report back after the break in and the race as to how it performed. using a 1-5 scale with 5 being perfect i give the following scores.

customer service 5
packaging 5
(fit and finish) disk 5, pressure plate 3, flywheel 5
ease of install and instructions 4 ( would be a 5 if dowels had been installed )
first drive impressions 5

I will update you all this weekend after break in and the first use at the track.
That should make it a bit easier to read
Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by rabiddog
That should make it a bit easier to read
LOL, thank you sir.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Not a problem, keep us posted on the next race. Make sure the fluid is clean and go from there.

If it was making the same noise as the video posted above that is material glaze. It has nothing to do with the quality of material, it's due to excessive slipping. This could be remedied by taking the car out to the track and dumping it a few times. After you "knock" the glaze off you need to adjust your driving habits so that it doesn't come back, easy stuff.
I tried that, it was reccomended to me over the phone, it didn't help. It was not the same noise though as in that video. Its a moot point since I sold the car already though. I'll probably be ordering a level 3 with the regular disk not the 6 puck pretty soon though, I really liked my clutch even with the wierd noise.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 AM
FormerVendor

A properly installed Monster should be quiet. Aside from some normal "squeaking" you may hear from the clutch material, there should not be much more noise than that.

Anyone experiencing these noises need to have the units looked at by a professional installer (who knows what to look for).

Just my $0.02.

Erik@Lashway
Old 07-14-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Good Info! Thanks for helping me figure it out! Even if it is in someone elses thread
Old 07-14-2010, 11:43 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
Good Info! Thanks for helping me figure it out! Even if it is in someone elses thread
Not a problem!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Launching!

it will take me years to get 12k miles on it , but i do race it every weekend often 2 or 3 events so it will get a work out for sure, i have it pretty well broken in and its a very easy clutch to drive, it can be slipped off the start with ease and so far hasnt shown any negative signs. i am going to the track in a few hours so i will post back later.
Not trying to start drama, but do you work from home? is that how you can race your daily driver every weekend?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:36 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep this thread on track. If I have to come in here again for damaging talk you will be playing the skin flute during your visit to banned camp. First, last and final warning. You already know who you are.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Keep this thread on track. If I have to come in here again for damaging talk you will be playing the skin flute during your visit to banned camp. First, last and final warning. You already know who you are.
HaHaHa!!........Man I love TECH!!!!......really!! not B-N an ***
Just LMAO!!!.... at your comment
Old 07-19-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Erik@Lashway
A properly installed Monster should be quiet. Aside from some normal "squeaking" you may hear from the clutch material, there should not be much more noise than that.

Anyone experiencing these noises need to have the units looked at by a professional installer (who knows what to look for).

Just my $0.02.

Erik@Lashway
i would consider my self more of a "professional installer" then most. that aside even the guys i spoke to at monster clutch said they can start making noises, however they described the noise they would expect it to make as more of a finger on a porcelain sink type squeal. mine was allot like the one in the video above but a little less high pitched. like i said i fixed it by slipping it hard like matt said to, i have not been to the track since as it rained , perhaps this friday i can get back to the track.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CBIII
Not trying to start drama, but do you work from home? is that how you can race your daily driver every weekend?
i typically put around 3 to 4 k on a car a year. so i figure around 3 to 4 years, the longest commute i have to make is the trip to the track once a week about 30 minutes away.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok i wasnt able to go racing for the last 2 months so i just drove the car normal and it worked fine, then yesterday i went back to the track and after 3 passes it acted up again, this time worse, i did my burn out and pulled up to stage and when the guy motioned me forward i wasnt able to get it in gear. so i shut the car off let the other guy go and then started it with it in gear and it pop started and i drove it back to the pits like that. the clutch wasnt letting go even with the pedal pushed in. and yes the master and slave are fine you can feel they are working as required. some thing in the clutch disk it self was wedged or welded fast. i did what i did last time to fix it and what the guys at monster told me to do i left the pits and went out on a local back road and kept revving it and side stepping it until it broke free, then a few more revs and side steps to get the horrid sound to go away and i went back to racing. it worked fine the rest of the night only now the pressure plate is very very stiff, i mean make you leg shake stiff. i know monster has a warranty but i cant afford to keep tearing the car down so i am considering going auto and being done with it. i will call monster monday and see what they want to do about this bad situation.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow this is bad news. Hope its gets worked out for ya.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks im sure they will take care of me but i really am considering going auto. i could probably sell my t56 for about what the auto swap would cost. but i do like driving stick shift so much lol.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have not been able to get a hold of them yet all week the voice mail says they are having phone problems. i decided to go auto over the winter any way, i will be sure to offer my D&D built t56 here when i decide to sell it it has all the upgrades short of the viper shaft and only around 4k miles on it

Quick Reply: In depth monster clutch review