Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Notchy Shifting unless I rev higher (like hitting a wall for a second)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notchy Shifting unless I rev higher (like hitting a wall for a second)

What could be the problem.

If I drive normally I sometimes get smooth shifting but other times its like hitting a wall for a second before it goes into the gear.

That is by me driving, pressing the clutch in, letting off gas completely, then moving the shift lever. The notch feels like hitting a wall for a second then going into gear, which is similar to syncros but how can this happen on all the gears? All syncros broke??!?!?

But If I change my driving style I can get 95% smooth shifts.

When I push the clutch in and if I rev up, lets say if at 4th gear the engine is suppose to be at 1400 rpm, but while shifting into 4th gear I get my rpm's up higher like 2000 or 3000 it will go in smooth 95% of the time. The other 5% is a barely noticeable notch. So if engine rpm is higher then the trans rpm the shift will go in fine.

This is confusing. What do engine rpm's have to do with trans ability to shift because if the clutch is disengaged the two are disconnected and independant.

At first I was thinking the clutch was not fully disengaging and the trans was pulling the engine up into higher rpm's.

But then I checked if the clutch is fully disengaging by putting in into 1rst, clutch in, and reving to redline but the car didn't creep forward an inch so I think it is completly disengaged. But then what could be the relation between high rpm's and shifting?!?!? I don't know what is causing this.

The car is a 01 z06 with a the corvette t56 (mn12 gearing)

Last edited by -DLS-; 07-30-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

what clutch are you using ?
What master cylinder are you using ?
What fluid is currently in the transmission ?
Have you recently bled the clutch ?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Teching In

New LS7 clutch, pressure plate and flywheel.
New LS6 slave cylinder, old LS6 master.
The trans has original fluid it came with. The trans I have right now is a used trans that I just put in, I think, 56,000 miles.
Yes I bled the clutch when doing the clutch and trans swap.

My old trans had a 3rd gear syncro problem. I sent it in to a reputable local shop and the guy fixed it expect the indent springs that push the shifter back to center weren't working. Mine are in the trans not in the shifter like on camaros, TA, etc. He tried a couple more times, I told him **** it, keep that trans and give me my money back if you can't fix it. He gave me my $1300 back and I found a used trans for $1100 on corvetteforum. Kind of regretting it since right now its worse then my old one.

Clutch works perfect. It doesn't stick and ive done a few launches.

Quick Reply: Notchy Shifting unless I rev higher (like hitting a wall for a second)