Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd gear issues in t-56!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation 3rd gear issues in t-56!!!

tonight i was out and about, met up with some buddies at the sonic and a guy with a '96 cobra wanted to race. we went to and there were like 6 cars following us watching and filming and what not. well we did a 30 roll and it was back and forth through 1st and 2nd. great race btw. and when i shifted for third blam. missed it. did the race again. missed it again. after missing 5 times in a row i was like WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we ended up goin back and talkin trying to figure out what was wrong with my car and then decided to do it again another day and call it a night. on my way home i did some solo hits and found this.... from a dig shifting at 4000 rpm the car shifts perfect. from a dig shifting at 5000 rpm 1st to 2nd is good and 3rd gets a little notchy. from a dig shifting at 6000-6200 rpm (where i shift when i race) the clutch wants to stay on the floor after a tough time gettin into 3rd. i have to let out and let the clutch pedal come back up. i dont know much about clutches so i am very appreciative to any information and help. can someone diagnose my problem or give me suggestions as to what is going on with my car. thanks yall
Old 09-18-2010, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

There is a clutch modification where you drill out a restriction in the line that connects to the clutch master cylinder. It was a problem for a lot of years all with t56 trannys. At high rpms shifting fast, the restriction in the line doesnt let the fluid return fast enough for the next shift leaving you searching for third. Its a very common mod and there is lots of info on it somewhere in here, you just have to search. Try searching for T-56 Drill Mod. Good Luck

Luke
Old 09-18-2010, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

Actually in the Manual Transmission Stickied Threads in yellow, the 3rd one down is the one im talking about.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Domesticated Euro
There is a clutch modification where you drill out a restriction in the line that connects to the clutch master cylinder. It was a problem for a lot of years all with t56 trannys. At high rpms shifting fast, the restriction in the line doesnt let the fluid return fast enough for the next shift leaving you searching for third. Its a very common mod and there is lots of info on it somewhere in here, you just have to search. Try searching for T-56 Drill Mod. Good Luck

Luke
The drill mod will help for sure. But I would start with changing your clutch fluid, and make sure the line that runs form the master to the slave is no to close the the header. It will heat up the fluid fast and your **** will not work as good.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:13 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

The factory master is a known weak point in the clutch hydraulic system. Since it does NOT require pulling the tranny, it would be a good idea to swap the clutch master cylinder for an aftermarket one. Currently, the Tick master cylinder is the best on the market and is only $299. It comes with an un-restriced line, so no need for the drill mod. Also if you were to do the drill mod to your factory master cylinder line, you may still have a problem. It's really a toss-up as to whether or not that will correct your problem. Not to mention, you have to remove the master to do the drill mod anyway. If it ends up being an internal problem in the transmission, I can help you out with that. Check my website in my sig. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

the tranny is from texas motorsports and has a 1 year shift related warranty on it. but im trying to eliminate small things first before i have to pay to get it shipped from mississippi to texas and back.