Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch grinding from dead stop (tech info)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch grinding from dead stop (tech info)

General info: Spec 3 clutch, 25k on clutch, new fly, new slave, new pilot bearing.

So, last weekend I had the car out and it started pulling crap on me. From a dead stop the car would make a horrible grinding noise if I let the clutch out slowly. Sounded like when you get alittle rust on your brake rotors after a hard rain. That very disticnt metallic grinding noise.

I figured well my clutch took a big dump on me. Pulled the inspection plate off and the pucks looked fine. Had Deb push the pedal in so I could rotate the disc and all the pucks looked like new.

WTF!?!?!!?

Did some reading, alot of things started to point to a bad pilot bearing. For about the past two weeks I could hear a slight whirling noise, didn't know if one of my idler pulleys was goin bad or something.

Decided to dig in and check for sure it wasn't the clutch and see if I could find the culprit.

Turns out the pilot bearing was in pieces, laying in the bottom of the end of the crank. I stuck my pinky in the end of the crank and could feel all the needles laying in the bottom.

I replaced the bearing w/ a bronze bushing. Picked it up at NAPA for $3. Only reason is that pilot bearing only had about 10k on it, because I stuck a new one in this winter when I rebuilt my motor.

Here are some pics:

Untouched, this is what it looked like after I pulled the pressure plate off.

Pilot bearing, and what's left...

Additional info:

So since I had the entire driveline out AGAIN, I figured I would ask Spec if they recommended replacing the disc. Here is what I got.

Pre- 07: New thickness is .310, min recommended is .290

07+ : New thickness is .350, min recommended is .320

You may say, MAN that doesn't seem like much, well I have 25k on the clutch, with abuse and it looked like BRAND spanking new. No hot spots on the PP or flywheel. I measured my thickness and it was .3455. Very VERY happy that I didn't need a clutch. What sucks is taking everything out for a $3 pilot bushing.

Drove the car around yesterday and it feels fine again. No grinding noise, and the slight vibration I would get went away. Hopefully this will be helpful for someone to trouble shoot their car.

Last edited by C5kid; 09-27-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info!

One question for you though, i am replacing my clutch soon and was wondering whether I should buy a new pilot bearing or just go to NAPA and get the same bronze bushing that you're using? What size is that bushing?

Thanks!

Sid.