Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Driveable but grinds all gears??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Driveable but grinds all gears??

Well heres my problem car broke on the dyno yada yada yada so fixed broken tail housing and decided to put a new clutch on there went with a spec stage 2 the 12" one. The slave is pretty new bout two months old and the flywheel was resurfaced prior to installation of clutch. The problem I am having is getting into reverse is very hard also first gear only sometimes though. While I drive and shift every gear grinds. It depends on the rpm I **** but 2 out 3 times that I shift they grind and then they go in. I raised the rear of the car with the clutch in and reved to 6k and the tires spun. Sounds like a clutch not disengaging correct? What can I do to fix it. I have a ram adjustable master cyl. Already tried adjusting it but nothing. When installed no shim was used the clutch came new and didnt supply one so figured wouldnt be needed. What do you guys recommend?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is 100% a clutch disengagement issue. Do not drive the car until the issue is resolved, or else you will cause severe damage to both the new clutch and the synchros in the transmission.

Many Spec clutches need to be shimmed. The issue is most likely that the slave cylinder cannot extend far enough to release the clutch fully, causing it to drag.

I would call Spec and see what they say about the shim and how to figure out if its definitely needed.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Actually my mistake it is not a spec it is a centerforce dual friction clutch the 12" one.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Sounds like a clutch disengagement issue.
First, be sure that the clutch hydraulics are bled and there is no air in the system.
Next, I'd try a shim under the slave to move it close to the pressure plate. I can supply you with a 0.125" shim for 12.00 shipped if you would like.
If a shim does not correct the problem, then there is something else going on. I've seen a warped disc cause this problem as well as a defective pressure plate.
Good luck with it and lmk what happens