-Keys
-Springs
-Shift fork pads
-Seals

-Labor

Upgrades:
-Steel 3-4 shift fork
-Billet 3-4 keys

*If additional hard parts and needed, it will cost more. For example, 2nd gear is bad and you need a new one, you just have to pay for that gear on top of the rebuild (approx $120).
Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know much about transmissions but i am planning on beefing mine up to withstrand at least 750 ft lb of torque. Would this kit increase torque level?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

would like to know the same as above the stock has taken years of abuse from me lots of hard spray launches but is starting to be ruff
Old 10-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Teching In

I just bought a Stage 3 Clutch kit with Chromemoly flywheel from him today in person. Great guy to deal with.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:39 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MISLLEAD NOTCH
I dont know much about transmissions but i am planning on beefing mine up to withstrand at least 750 ft lb of torque. Would this kit increase torque level?
The T56 is good for 650rwhp. The upgrades don't necessarily raise the power handling capacity. The steel 3/4 fork and billet 3/4 keys simply make the T56 more durable. In stock form, this part of the transmission is the weakest link. These upgrades make this part of the transmission much stronger, and the trans will handle much more abuse.
If you want to take it a step further, I offer a Stage 3 build with a 31-spline mainshaft (stronger than the typical Viper 30-spline shaft). Just check out the website in my sig. It is good for 950rw, but honestly is an overkill for most cars.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a good question, never really got a good answer.

Is it possible to swap out 1st through 3rd gear with M12 gears? Basically taking a F-body spec'ed T-56, sending it out for the rebuild but during the process, putting in the steeper gears, but leaving 5th and 6th the T-56 Spec'ed ratios?

At some point mine may need a rebuild and I was curious on the possibility.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Teching In

But the viper shaft is better than the stock fbody shaft right? Meaning it would be a better replacement for a weekend worrior/daily?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the 31 spline from the SSR?...I'm interested in a strong T56...but I also want to faceplate it...at least through 4th gear.

Last edited by Mike454SS; 10-14-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:47 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Here is a good question, never really got a good answer.

Is it possible to swap out 1st through 3rd gear with M12 gears? Basically taking a F-body spec'ed T-56, sending it out for the rebuild but during the process, putting in the steeper gears, but leaving 5th and 6th the T-56 Spec'ed ratios?

At some point mine may need a rebuild and I was curious on the possibility.
Yes, that is possible. I've done it before, just about every way possible. I've changed 5/6 only, 1-4 only, and tripe-cone conversions to the entire tranny. The most simple/cost effective way to accomplish this is to get a GTO T56 or Z06 T56 core. Then use parts from it.
The last one that I did was a regular C5 Vette T56 (non-Z06) with the 2.66 first. I had the Vette mainshaft shortened, making a GTO shaft out of it. Then I swapped cases to an F-body one. It was quite expensive, but never the less a "one-of-a-kind" T56.
Keep this in mind..
If you change 1-4, but not 5-6, you will still have different 5-6 ratios due to the 29-tooth input gear. I don't have the formula in front of me, but it will come out between 0.74 & 0.80 for 5th, and between 0.50 & 0.62 for 6th.
Also, if you plan to do this by purchasing 2 different trannys, I will give you credit for all the un-used parts. Hope this clears things up!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

But the viper shaft is better than the stock fbody shaft right? Meaning it would be a better replacement for a weekend worrior/daily?
Yes, the Viper shaft is better than stock. It is 30-spline compared to the stock shaft at 27-spline. It's also made of a higher grade of steel.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:53 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Is the 31 spline from the SSR?...I'm interested in a strong T56...but I also want to faceplate it...at least through 4th gear.
No, its not from the SSR. I think it actually has the 32-spline shaft, but I could be wrong. I don't really like faceplating, as puts such a hard shock on the trans/driveline every time you shift, and especially on a launch. It also tends to wear away at the metal much quicker than the stock setup. But if you don't mind having to go thru the tranny every so often, then its great for racing.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Teching In

What would be the price of just parts on the stage 2 kit?
Old 10-15-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TDP
No, its not from the SSR. I think it actually has the 32-spline shaft, but I could be wrong. I don't really like faceplating, as puts such a hard shock on the trans/driveline every time you shift, and especially on a launch. It also tends to wear away at the metal much quicker than the stock setup. But if you don't mind having to go thru the tranny every so often, then its great for racing.
How much to go to a 32 spline shaft then?...or will that not fit in a conventional LS1 F-Body T56 case?...I need a STRONG transmission.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

so this is a full rebuild? i need a rebuild, my reverse does not engage i have to hold it in place, otherwise it will pop out of gear. also when in 3rd gear or higher as i accelerate i get a whine/ howling sound.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much to go to a 32 spline shaft then?...or will that not fit in a conventional LS1 F-Body T56 case?...I need a STRONG transmission.
The SSR mainshaft is made in the same fashion as the GTO and corvette mainshafts (which are tripple/double cone syncro style). The different syncro style requires a different mainshaft style....so if you build a trans with an SSR mainshaft you could use an f-body or GTO case but would have to use GTO or corvette gear set.....
Old 10-15-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
The SSR mainshaft is made in the same fashion as the GTO and corvette mainshafts (which are tripple/double cone syncro style). The different syncro style requires a different mainshaft style....so if you build a trans with an SSR mainshaft you could use an f-body or GTO case but would have to use GTO or corvette gear set.....
Thats not a big deal to me...I need to figure the whole trans out this winter though.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:01 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 6spdchevy
so this is a full rebuild? i need a rebuild, my reverse does not engage i have to hold it in place, otherwise it will pop out of gear. also when in 3rd gear or higher as i accelerate i get a whine/ howling sound.
Yes, this is a full rebuild. The above prices include parts that I use to freshen up/upgrade your tranny, but there are usually additional parts necessary to repair the tranny [i.e. gears, synchro assemblies, shaft(s)]. These parts are determined on a case-by-case basis, once I go thru your trans.
In your case, you could need a new Reverse gear. It just depends if the engagement teeth are ground down or not. Also, I can just about guarantee the synchro assembly is beat up, but I can just flip the synchro assembly over to the un-used side and it will be as good as new.
Transmission whine is usually caused by running it low on fluid. This will cause damage to the gears.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:05 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

I'm sure I can get it to work. Just haven't tried it yet. It will probably be more expensive, though. That's something that I'm going to be looking into.
I've used the 31-spline shaft with some really high HP/TQ cars, and never once had any issues.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:07 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

What would be the price of just parts on the stage 2 kit?
I'm currently not selling any parts unless I'm doing the work. A lot of stuff is on back order from Tremec right now, so I can't risk cutting myself short. Sorry!
Tick Performance should be able to sell you the parts that you need.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TDP
I'm currently not selling any parts unless I'm doing the work. A lot of stuff is on back order from Tremec right now, so I can't risk cutting myself short. Sorry!
Tick Performance should be able to sell you the parts that you need.
Will do thanks anyways

Quick Reply: T56 Rebuilds starting at $680 for Stage 2