Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP!!! Throw out bearing or pilot bearing maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP!!! Throw out bearing or pilot bearing maybe?

What's up guys been a long time since I posted. I took out my t/a to jersey this past week came to a toll booth pushed clutch in put car in neutral but held clutch in. I heard kinda of rattling with a squeaking noise. I let the clutch out and noise stops. After I paid, I push the clutch in tried to put in 1st. It didnt go to 1st or any other gear. After couple minutes I shut the car off, then went into gear no problem. After that I was able to drive it an hour and a half home to connecticut with no problems. Once I was movin I didn't use the clutch and at lights I put in neutral with clutch engaged. Currently everytime I push in the clutch and it makes that rattling/squeaking noise. The clutch still feels great not spungy or nothin.
Beginning of last year I bought and had installed a rebiult t56 tranny. I had put in new clutch master w/ drill mod. New slave all parts from gm. New centerforce clutch(luv it!) new fluid, new flywheel.
I read a bunch of forums and Im thinking pilot bearing and/or throw out bearing but I desperately need advice!!!

Last edited by jasonr1051; 10-20-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pilot bearing, if it went bad should be making noise all the time, sounds like a engagement/disengagement issue. If I read this correctly.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Teching In

So ure thinking throw out bearing?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Teching In

From my experience with throw out bearings the noise stops when you press in the clutch. Opposite from what you said it was doing. I could be wrong.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kevinek
From my experience with throw out bearings the noise stops when you press in the clutch. Opposite from what you said it was doing. I could be wrong.
That's not good I was bankin on it being the throw out bearing. Any ideas then?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way the transmission needs pulled. You can verify whats going on with both the throwout and pilot.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jasonr1051
That's not good I was bankin on it being the throw out bearing. Any ideas then?
It could be the throw out bearing. Im just saying Ive had a few go out and they always stopped making noise when I pushed in the clutch. And the way a pilot bearing works it seems it would always make noise no matter where the clutch is. Maybe somebody else that knows more about it will chime in. Either way you got to pull the tranny.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My pilot bushing recently went out and it made whirring whirring noises between shift or any time the clutch was being used. Also felt like something was spinning off balanced when the clutch was being used. It was the tip of the tranny and the clutch disk getting stupid as a result of not being properly captured by the pilot bushing.

A busted TOB makes a grinding noise when it fails.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like the pilot bearing. If it is, check your input shaft end play. If it moves up and down at all, the trans needs to come apart and shim the input shaft tighter. It will wear out you pilot bearing prematurely.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Throw out bearing or pilot bearing maybe?