Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch engage/disengage location issues please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch engage/disengage location issues please help.

Ok, I just got my 99 T/A M6 back on the road two days ago and cannot figure out the problem with my clutch/slave. I picked up the trans/hydraulics/spec3 clutch all together as a pull out from a member on here. Was told that everything worked fine when removed (6 months ago).

The situation is when I put it in gear and let out on the pedal it just wants to start to grab right at the end of the pedal travel and then the clutch slips. I have bled the slave after doing the hole in the floor pan mod multiple times. Like over half a large bottle of dot 3 fuild through it with both methods of bleeding. I have searched on here and not found an answer. The funny thing is when I mash the gas hard it will rev and then start pulling and if I roll into the throttle the clutch will grab and the car will pull like normal running it up through the gears. I am familiar with the clutch sticking on the floor and I think if the slave isnt shimmed it will engage to close to the floor but this is like just the exact opposite of that. HOW do I fix this before it ruins something??
Old 10-29-2010, 04:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did u install a shim behind the slave cylinder when u put the clutch in. that might be causing it. iv delt with a simulat situation on a ram clutch an had to put a shim between the slave an trans. then all problems went away
Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

if it needed a shim wouldn't it be engaging right off the floor?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

^^^^what he said. Lol
Old 10-29-2010, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Yes that is my understanding that if you need a shim the clutch engages right at the floor, this is doing the exact opposite. Also if the clutch itself was bad why does it "lock in" under hard throttle and start pulling? The whole setup is backwards from what normal problems people see. Any ideas how to fix it?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

I would say look into a Tick master. I put it in my car and o my goodness. Absolutely a amazing piece. This cut my clutch pedal in half. I think this would help you out greatly. Also get a speed bleeder next time. They work really nice Hope everything comes together for you Matt.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

It ended up being the clutch disk was wore beyond tolerences(I was lied to about the condition of the clutch and trans when purchased). I will leave this posted in case anyone else has this problem.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Clutch disc wear can easily affect the engagement point. Using a disc that is overly thin will cause the engagement to be high and will also allow for slippage to occur. If you need to get a new disc or kit let me know and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Clutch engage/disengage location issues please help.