Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Driveline Woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driveline Woes

I'm having strang clutch hydraulic issues on my C5 MN6. Car has been running exceptionally for the past 4 months since it was given a new stock OEM clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. Clutch engages and disengages like butter and shifting through the gears are like butter, no grinding, nor popping out of gear nor notchiness. The SPEC 3+ clutch grabs and hold exceptionally and shows no signs of slippage.

However, it drove to work just normal, but on my way home as I was approaching a light, out of nowhere and suddenly, It gets very hard to go into 4th gear, it didn't grind nor did I hear any loud pops, but was hard to get in gear, so I press in the clutch and put the tranny in neutral and coast to a stop at the light. The light goes green, I press in the clutch to put the tranny in 1st and I'm locked out. The car will not go in gear. There is still clutch pedal pressure, but not as much pressure as before. So I check the clutch fluid resevoir and its clean and full.

I'm at a loss because with the car off, I can row through the gears flawlessly. But with the clutch peddle pushed in, the car will crank and idle in neutral, but I can't get it in gear. With the car in gear, at first I could crank it and it would jump forward and shut off. Then I did it a few more times, cranking the car with the tranny in gear and now it won't even crank with the car in gear and the clutch pedal pushed in. I don't think the clutch is disengaging so I turned the car off, put it in neutral and pushed it home.

The following week, I put in another new clutch master cylinder and gravity bled the system and now I CAN shift into 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th but NOT 5th, 6th or reverse.

This weekend, I was messing with the car again. The car is in the air and all four wheels are off the ground. With the car on, when I put the car in 1st and take my foot off the clutch the mph goes up to 10mph. When I shift to second, the mph goes up to 20mph, when I shift to 3rd it goes up to 30mph. Then I tried not pressing the clutch pedal in at all and the car STILL shifted into gear. Is this normal? The entire time, the rear wheels were spinning.

Afterwards, I went to check the shifter linkage and found that there was a bolt missing and the other 3 bolts were loose on my B&M Short shifter. So I went and purchased a bolt and then tightened all the other bolts. Car still doesnt want to go into 5th, 6th and reverse or now 4th.

I didn't take a picture, but maybe this numerical sequence on the shifter base will help below:

1 2

3 4

"2" and "4" being closet to the TQ tube and "1" and "2" being closet to driver.

Bolt "1" was missing and "2", "3" and "4" were loose on the shifter base. The 2 bolts on the shifter cradle that bolts onto the torque tube were tight, but on of the bushings were bulging. So I had a spare shift cradle box from a previous torque tube and the bushing are in great shape. I replaced it and it's still no "5th, 6th or reverse" gear, and also no 4th gear now. I'm not sure how to adjust the linkage other than loosing and re-tighnening bolts according to RPM Transmissions diagram.

I removed the clutch inspection plate. When the clutch pedal is pressed, I can see the slave cylinder pushing on the pressure plate fingers engaging the clutch and upon release and de-release when the clutch pedal is depressed. I couldn't tell if the clutch released the flywheel, but it looked as though it was stuck to the flywheel the entire time.

What do you think is going on?