Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Think My Clutch is Going Out....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think My Clutch is Going Out....

Sorry if this has been answered before but this is my daily driver and i dont really want to drive it like this right now so I am borrowing a car and gotta get to the bottom of this fast.

On the way to school this morning and all of a sudden the clutch pedal stopped engaging where it normally does (about 80-90% let off). It now engages about half way down (30-40% let off), with the top of the push feeling like nothings there (no pressure).

The car is a 2000 Trans Am with a M6 obviously, 94000 miles original clutch, trans and master. I keep the fluid changed regularly in the trans, just serviced it yesterday actually, and the clutch fluid fresh. Bled it about 2000 miles ago and it made the feel and engagement alot better, but even before it was never anywhere near as bad as it is now.

I really dont know too much about clutches except for what I've read on here, but before I go and get a new clutch, is that what it sounds like it is?

Also, since Ive ad the car, ithas always popped out of reverse almost everytime, I doubt this is related but anyways...

Thanks for the help or any suggestions!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pedal engagement thing sounds like a hydraulic issue ie; slave cylinder or master cylinder. A clutch disk will wear slowly over time and shouldn't "all of a sudden" have a dramatic reduction in pedal feel unless something happened to the pressure plate. Either way, with that many miles it sounds like it's time for a new clutch. You would want to (at minimum) replace the slave cylinder at the same time you do the clutch since the trans is already out.

Mike
Old 11-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I bled it when I got home from school and then went and drove it to work and it still is doing the same thing. I would just buy a master cylinder (think this might help and its the easiest thing to do since the slaves internal), but I wanna make sure thats what it is and not the slave before I drop $300 on something that may not be causing the problem.

Can any of the Tick people tell me if one of their adj masters might cure this? Or is there no way to really diagnose between a slave and a master?

At least I can drive it but its kind of hard to get it off my mind knowing somethings not right.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Sorry I don't have any in-depth knowledge for you, but I would certainly agree that your problem is very likely hydraulic. Maybe a hose got punctured or finally rotted away. Sounds like there's a loss of pressure somewhere in the hydraulics of your clutch. It sucks too, cause that master cylinder is buried and a bitch to get out, to inspect..
Old 11-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Yea I just hope its not the slave bc then out comes the trans. If Im gonna pull it then Im gonna do it right and rebuild it and new clutch and all. Don't wanna have to pull it again in 10000 miles when the clutch decides to go...