LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Manual Transmission (https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission-14/)
-   -   lt1 clutch slipping help (https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1389686-lt1-clutch-slipping-help.html)

meangreenchevy 02-23-2011 07:49 PM

lt1 clutch slipping help

I just got my 355 done about 600 miles ago. Before my rebuild, my zoom clutch had about 4k on it. When I had everthing done at my machine shop I had them resurface the flywheel cause I didn't do it when I did the clutch. Now everything is back together and I'm driving the car but the engagement is at the very top of the pedal almost to the point where I can take my foot completly off the clutch and it slips itself when taking off. its also slipping if I give the car anymore than 1/8 throttle. Seems to be worse in high gears. Anyone have any advice

95chevyz28 02-23-2011 07:53 PM

i would think that the clutch is not fully disengaging when you get off the pedal. It could possibly have something to do with the setup of the linkage of the pedal. I could be wrong though. Hopefully someone with more expierence will chime in. BTW, I had my flywheel resurfaced before and never had any problems so i doubt that would be it. Mike

meangreenchevy 02-24-2011 12:39 AM

the clutch pedal is coming all the up its like you said i feel like its not engaging all the way. problem is getting worse car barely moves now. i smell burning clutch. i need desperate help please

meangreenchevy 03-21-2011 12:46 PM

anyone else?

95sscamaro 03-22-2011 08:29 AM

I am having to same problem with my zoom too, this is the 2nd one I have put in the car, I would like to see what's going on?

Nmbr1GMfan 03-22-2011 10:39 AM

Pressure plate has continuous pressure on it, not allowing full engagement allowing clutch slip. Driving will ruin the pp, disk and flywheel.

meangreenchevy 03-22-2011 02:42 PM

greatttttttt so basically this is a zoom clutch problem. and it started doing this and i drove it until it would barely move the car anymore

Nmbr1GMfan 03-22-2011 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by meangreenchevy (Post 14674209)
greatttttttt so basically this is a zoom clutch problem. and it started doing this and i drove it until it would barely move the car anymore

No, its an install problem. You may be able to send it to Zoom and have it rebuilt for less than a new one.

95sscamaro 03-22-2011 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by meangreenchevy (Post 14674209)

My first one lasted 30,000 miles it was releasing at the top of the pedaled but didn’t slip, #2 lasted 2,000 miles and slips like crazy, I guess I’m lucky I didn’t pay for #2 and won’t be paying for #3

Jeep_junkie 03-22-2011 08:58 PM

Engagement at the top of pedal travel seems to be an LT1 issue. My old 94 with an SLP PP and McLeod disc did the same thing, though it never slipped, and the stock replacement clutch in my current 94 is exactly the same too after break-in. I wonder if it has anything to do with resurfacing the flywheel. I wouldn't think that would remove enough material to move the clutch further from the clutch fork, causing early disengagement, or would it?