Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

need diagnosis, occasional buzz/zing noise upshifting to 2nd or 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post need diagnosis, occasional buzz/zing noise upshifting to 2nd or 3rd

Can someone expain what causes this? I'm figuring it's synchronizer related, but is the noise being produced soley by the synchro's? Or might there be some other combination of factors? The car is a daily driver 2002 SS, has 15k miles on it, and I've had a hurst billet plus shifter on it with modified lou's short stick for about the past 5k miles. Fluid for the last 1000 miles is (should I dare say) RP synchromax.

Yesterday, when the car was cold, I had a zing noise upshifting into 3rd. This is not the first time this has happened. Also, I have had similar buzz/zing noises when upshifting into 2nd. All have been under 30mph, and under 2000 rpms. In trying to describe the noise: I refer to "grind" as when you don't depress the clutch all the way and shift, you get the loud grind/buzz noise and the shifter ball vibrates the hell out of your hand- like you've just gotten an electric shock. I don't have that. The noise I have is not as loud, is much more high pitched, and sounds more like a cut-off or grinding wheel zipping into metal. And when I get this noise, there is no feedback through the shifter handle into your hand. Most times it will shift right into gear, as if normal, but with the noise. On an upshift into 2nd though, most times it will not go into 2nd (like the solenoid is blocking me but I have that disconnected) and make that noise. In that case, I will have to coast for a bit in neutral then shift into 2nd if I don't go into 3rd or 4th.

Ever since I got the car new, it's had a sticky 2nd gear- always been hard to upshift or downshift into 2nd, but has never made noise. The few times it's been to the dealer (pinion seal, piston slap noise), they can't duplicate the shifting noise problem nor notice any unusual problem with 2nd.

I'd have to say, 99% of the time the tranny shifts fine with the RP synchromax. And it's orders of magnitude better in the 0-20F weather we've been having lately. Last winter, I've had horrendous trouble shifting when cold, and that was with the stock shifter and stock fluid. It's just very seldom I'll get this zing noise, and has only been on a 2nd or 3rd gear upshift and when the car is more or less cold doing 30mph or less and under 2k or so rpms. I've had this happen a total of, maybe 6 times, over the last 3 months.

So, is this noise soley synchros? What exactly is happening which is making the noise? Could the hurst shifter be contributing to the problem? What's the chance of having a bad/bent shift fork? Or is it most likely being caused by the tranny fluid? I will most likely flush the RP and go back to cheapo dex3 and force the hell out of the tranny in the cold.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 FMF- Don't know the answer to your question, but I'll give it a bump none-the-less.

You know you want to reply to my thread......

Ahhh, over to BITOG....

Chuck
Old 02-19-2004, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same noise upshifting into 3rd...i get it everytime. 3rd is also the only gear that whines when i drive. I have probs shifting into 2nd 3rd and 4th sometimes. it changes constantly which one doesnt want to go in. i had the same prob with my old t-5 in my 88 firebird. im beginning to think they all do this. I wish it shifted real smooth, it would make driving much more enjoyable....maybe i need a clutch? 51,000 miles, original.

Quick Reply: need diagnosis, occasional buzz/zing noise upshifting to 2nd or 3rd