Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just in: Tick/Monster. Can't get into gear at idle, but can while driving and off..

Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just in: Tick/Monster. Can't get into gear at idle, but can while driving and off..

I installed a Tick master cylinder last week, and have had no problems with it once adjusted properly. Today I just installed a Monster stage 2 clutch, with lightweight flywheel, and speed bleeder. The car was bled a TON.. Well, when I am driving around, I can get into all gears. When the car is idling I can only get like 1st and 4th easily. Reverse is HARD to get into gear, but it goes. 2nd seems like it has a permanent Skip-shift, like it wants to go to 4th instead. But when I am driving, every gear feels smooth as butter. What gives?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You said you adjusted the tick properly but then installed a new clutch later...are you sure it's not dragging? I'm just thinking that if it's difficult to get in gear while sitting at idle maybe you need to adjust the pedal out a little bit.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

I first tried exactly where I left it, and then adjusted it out a bunch, almost above the brake pedal, and still no luck. Unless I need to go higher? But I did get on flat surface and try the clutch to 6k rev, and doesn't move one bit.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe the connectors are plugged in wrong. IIRC the skip shift and the rev lockout use the same plug. Possible they are backwards?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep. I just looked up a similar problem. SNL recommended switching them because they are identical. I bet I do have them switched because I had to really stretch one wire to get to plug into where the reverse lockout is. Sounds highly possibly I have them flipped. I'll get up under there soon and flip them and try it.. FML
Old 03-24-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I almost would think that the wires were too short to do it wrong, but i have heard of other people doing it. On my car, I have them wire ties to the O2 sensors, so I cant screw it up. Hopefully that will take care of it for you.

Ryan
Old 03-24-2011, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

I would check the connectors as well. Did it to my own car once.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep, switched the connectors, and all is good. I didn't think about it when I was hooking stuff up because most all connectors are different to prevent things like this. Lesson learned.

The clutch and flywheel are AWESOME

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just in: Tick/Monster. Can't get into gear at idle, but can while driving and off..