Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Correlation between Tick master adjustments and clutch slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Correlation between Tick master adjustments and clutch slipping?

Hello all-

This may be a potentially obvious question, and I may have remedied it, but I figure I'll ask here before I go to the track next week.

Background Info:

After taking my car out of hibernation two weeks back, I felt what seemed like my clutch slipping a tiny bit. I at first attributed it to cold summer tires, but it happened twice yesterday, and quite bad at that. I also then noticed that my clutch was picking up even from resting my foot on the pedal, so my instinct was to wake up this morning, and adjust my Tick Master. Now, my clutch is fairly new and is a stout piece, and the tick master was adjusted last year by yours truly. Car is not daily driven, nor has it yet been to the track with this setup.

Questions:
Would a tick master being out of adjustment cause a clutch to slip? Is it normal or a clutch to require adjustments from the Tick master so often? And if so, is that because my clutch is such a heavy duty item?

Thanks all for your time.

The Car in question:
Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can the flywheel get some surface rust from sitting like a brake rotor and cause some slipping until it wears off? seems like it would wear off really quickly but who knows. or could the clutch just be slightly glazed? not sure on those

but as far as adjusting the tick, I think if you adjust it too far out and overextend the pressure plate it can damage it and possibly reduce clamping force
Old 03-26-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where in the range of pedal motion does the clutch grab, bottom, middle, top?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
can the flywheel get some surface rust from sitting like a brake rotor and cause some slipping until it wears off? seems like it would wear off really quickly but who knows. or could the clutch just be slightly glazed? not sure on those

but as far as adjusting the tick, I think if you adjust it too far out and overextend the pressure plate it can damage it and possibly reduce clamping force
I am quite sure I didn't over extend it. I did it all in increments. On the last adjustment, I put it in first and revved the **** out of it and the car moved. I adjusted it back a bit and its fine now. I was told this was the normal method of adjusitng it.
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
Where in the range of pedal motion does the clutch grab, bottom, middle, top?
Before, up top. Now, it is more towards the middle, but the amount of throw is tiny. Before I adjusted it, the pedal was only slightly below the brake pedal. It is now much closer to the floor.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like it may just need bled.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Man I sure hope not, I don't really know how to do that. Gonna drive it around today and see if it is still slipping. If it is, I'm gonna have to take it back to the shop that installed it.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Out of curiosity , what are the details of your clutch and hydraulic configuration ?
Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Driving on a slipping clutch is going to cause you more issues in the long run.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by snake charmer
Out of curiosity , what are the details of your clutch and hydraulic configuration ?
+1 here.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

When my car sits for a little while in colder temps, the engagement on my clutch goes down like your describing. After driving it a bit to warm everything up, it goes back to normal. I think that is typical stuff with hydraulic clutches. I haven't noticed any slipping though.
edit: I have a Tick master
Old 03-26-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by snake charmer
Tick Master, and a custom clutch from a local shop. The shop does excellent work and the clutch is strong, but I don't know specifics. Additionally, the shop isn't a sponsor so I can't post their info.

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
Driving on a slipping clutch is going to cause you more issues in the long run.
Yeah, but I'm still trying to source the problem. I want to source the problem before going the the track.

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
When my car sits for a little while in colder temps, the engagement on my clutch goes down like your describing. After driving it a bit to warm everything up, it goes back to normal. I think that is typical stuff with hydraulic clutches. I haven't noticed any slipping though.
edit: I have a Tick master
Clutch slipped worst after being driven nearly 50 miles. Definitely not from being cold.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Dang. Still slipping. That rules out clutch being out of adjustment. Hopefully it just needs to be bled. Car is parked until it can go back to the shop. Thanks for the tips guys,
Old 03-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by qwikz28
so my instinct was to wake up this morning, and adjust my Tick Master
This was probably not a good instinct. The Tick Master is adjusted to the geometry of the clutch itself and not where the pedal grabs. (Details in the Tick instructions.) Any adjustment to the MC could throw off the geometry.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wssix99
This was probably not a good instinct. The Tick Master is adjusted to the geometry of the clutch itself and not where the pedal grabs. (Details in the Tick instructions.) Any adjustment to the MC could throw off the geometry.
When I change the adjustment on my tick master, it changes where the pedal grabs.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
When I change the adjustment on my tick master, it changes where the pedal grabs.
Right - and it could either cause your clutch to physically not release fully or not engage far enough.

Quick Reply: Correlation between Tick master adjustments and clutch slipping?