Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting to 3rd like hit a wall..

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting to 3rd like hit a wall..

I have a MGW short throw, I like it, I really do, but I think something may be wrong with it. I was at the track the other night and from what I've read people hardly ever have any issues getting into 3rd with this shifter, well for me, its like i hit a wall when I go to shift into 3rd, and I missed 3rd several times that night. Maybe its just the way I'm shifting, but it's really difficult to get it. Is there a way I can, I don't know, adjust it? Loosen it? Anything?
Thanks.
C.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

I had that problem before going MGW. I don't think it's the shifter. I even got a Tick MC and I still get 3rd and 4th gear lockouts. and my clutch fluid gets dirty again in a day. I'm hoping I fix this 3rd and 4th gear wall when I get a new clutch.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AndyIsLost
I had that problem before going MGW. I don't think it's the shifter. I even got a Tick MC and I still get 3rd and 4th gear lockouts. and my clutch fluid gets dirty again in a day. I'm hoping I fix this 3rd and 4th gear wall when I get a new clutch.
So its probably the clutch or tranny?

C.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carlisle
So its probably the clutch or tranny?

C.
I'm assuming it's the clutch, because I didn't have the problem when I first had the car and started beating on it. now that I beat on it everyday, and take it to the track it's hating life. the Tick MC did help but I think it's the clutch, I know it isn't the shifter... MGW shifter was touched by baby Jesus himself.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doubt its the shifter.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Veteran

How are you shifting?? There actually is a proper technique. 1-2 shift, palm left on the shifter. 2-3 shift; palm down on the shifter and push directly forward. 3-4 shift; palm down. The natural arch of your arm can actually influence where the shifter will go.

But if it's not wanting to go into third, It's hard to tell. Did you get a brass bushing with the shifter? Either the "gates" in the trans, or the shifter not turning the shift rods enough.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
How are you shifting?? There actually is a proper technique. 1-2 shift, palm left on the shifter. 2-3 shift; palm down on the shifter and push directly forward. 3-4 shift; palm down. The natural arch of your arm can actually influence where the shifter will go.

But if it's not wanting to go into third, It's hard to tell. Did you get a brass bushing with the shifter? Either the "gates" in the trans, or the shifter not turning the shift rods enough.
You know I wasn't shifting correctly, or at least not completely. Instead of pushing forward I did it at an angle, I tried a WOT shift coming back to post and shifted at about 5100 and it went in great. I usually shift at about 6100 so Idk if that'll make a difference. Going to the track on Wednesday so we'll find out. Thanks for the help guys.
C.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the clutch pedal feel any different when it doesn't want to go into gear?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

I have this same problem but only when shifting into 4th gear at the track or @ 6400 rpms, ******* annoying, my clutch pedal feels the same as it always does too........
Old 04-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

ive had the same prob some times with my mgw. i think im goin to switch back to the B&M i had in my old camaro. the mgw does seem like it takes more effort to get into gear. my clutch is starting to go though, so that could have something to do with it...

Quick Reply: Shifting to 3rd like hit a wall..