Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just got my car back from shop (new slave cylinder), still having issues, please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my car back from shop (new slave cylinder), still having issues, please help

Ok I'll try to make this as short as possible, I just need some advice because the shop is telling me I have a bad clutch too, and they're refusing to take another look at the car unless it's to replace the clutch.

Basically I've been having clutch issues for a while now, sticky/loose pedal, whining noise (similar to a bad power steering pump). Finally the slave cylinder completely blew out and I lost the clutch completely, so I took it to the shop.

I bought a new master and slave for then to replace. I told them to replace both, but they only put the slave in. They said they did that because they were trying to save me money by letting me return the master, and that the clutch system was working just fine with just the slave.

Problem is, the clutch is slipping like crazy now. It's underivable. They're telling me my clutch is shot to hell.

I told them the clutch was still making the whining noise, which they said could be some bearing or something that will be fixed when they replace the clutch. They said there's absolutely nothing else that could possibly be wrong with it besides a blown clutch.

The two things that are making me not think that are this:

1) The clutch is fairly new, only 10,000 miles. It's a Spec stage 2. It worked perfectly fine before the slave cylinder completely blew out, no slipping at all. I don't see how the slave cylinder blowing out could completely destroy a 100% working clutch. Is that possible that the clutch would work great, then all of a sudden not work at all?

2) I had to move the car in the driveway this morning, and the pedal stuck on me about halfway down. I had to pull it up. Could the clutch (or some part of it) being bad cause the pedal to stick? That doesn't make sense to me... that would make me assume there's still something wrong with the hydraulics, even though the pedal seems firm now usually.

Basically I asked the guy if it was possible the clutch just isn't engaging completely, but he said no because it's a hydraulic system and there's no adjusting it - if you have a firm pedal and it's still slipping, it's a bad clutch. But now that the pedal has stuck on me a couple times, could it still be a problem with the hydraulics?

Any help would be appreciated. I just spend $650 getting the slave cylinder replaced, and if I have to get a new clutch that's gonna be another $750 or so, which I really can't afford right now.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

...I blew out the slave on my Saturn Vue and it spewed fluid all over the clutch disc and they had to replace it too since it was contaminated...of course I was under warranty at the time, so it was Saturn's bill...however, if when you blew out your slave, it did the same thing, it's entirely possible you would need a new clutch too...
Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the clutch is slipping with the pedal totally released you most likely do need a clutch. 98ZM6 is right, if fluid soaked the clutch then it will need replaced.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

They are either giving you a bunch of BS or they are the most incompetent shop on the face of the planet. (OK... Maybe not - lots of competitors in that category.) I would think that any real "mechanic" could tell that the clutch was bad by looking at it with the transmission off. Maybe they didn't look?

Did you have the clutch installed while you owned the car? I wonder if the clutch came with (or needed) a slave cylinder shim and they forgot or didn't know to install it when the new clutch went back in?
Old 05-22-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** go look at the clucth and make your wn mind up.

Quick Reply: Just got my car back from shop (new slave cylinder), still having issues, please help