Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best clutch for the $ ls1

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi i have a 2000 ss camaro i got it from someone a few weeks ago after looking for one for a while. well, about a week ago i realized the clutch was going out cuz the pedal kept getting taller and it started slipping under heavy acceleration. He said it had a new stage 3 clutch, press. plate, slave, master put in a few months ago.....so i have came to the conclusion that he either just said it had a new clutch, etc. or he dogged it and now its messed up. I would like to find a good clutch for as cheap as possible. It doesnt have to much done to motor but i plan on building around a 450-500hp motor for it eventually and it already has tranny with heavy duty springs and synchros. I have looked quite heavily into an ls7 clutch/ls2 flywheel swap and many other options such as the centerforce DF and DFX and the Ram Powergrip.....I was wondering if i could get some good/bad feedback on the centerforce and ram (especially the difference in the DF and DFX and which would be better for me)......OR could i possibly just get a pressure plate, slave with throwout, and clutch disc once i found out what kind it is and have the flywheel turned.....AND PLEASE REMEMBER.....im not exactly strapped for cash but i understand any way isnt gonna be cheap...so any feedback on what i have listed or anything else would be great. THANK YOU

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Old 08-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not strapped for cash either but I saved up for the monster since I don't wanna have any problems with it. I got the stage 2 and it goes in this weekend. That'd be my suggestion if you don't wanna mess with it again.
Kinda seems like he didn't install the clutch right tho if it's already messin up
Old 08-11-2011, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackbird0230
I'm not strapped for cash either but I saved up for the monster since I don't wanna have any problems with it. I got the stage 2 and it goes in this weekend. That'd be my suggestion if you don't wanna mess with it again.
Kinda seems like he didn't install the clutch right tho if it's already messin up
Yup, that's what I recommend as well. My Monster Level 2 will be here this week. I got the F-Body direct fit package, along with the lightweight flywheel and remote bleeder. Can't wait to get it in! I'll let you know how it works out. The clutch is rated for 550hp/tq and the package comes with everything you need! I payed a little over $800 for everything.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Launching!

I got everything you did minus the bleeder for 650 lol
Old 08-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

well see my prob is that im still making payments to a guy for this car....i have the title and everything just owe him money....most of my paychecks were going to him to get it payed off so i was going to be struggling to get around 400-500....cuz if i had 800 that would open my options dramatically. but if it does come to me having to go more expensive thank you for the suggestions. but if you could update me on the characteristics of the clutch and any probs its gave u or hasnt gave u id appreciate it
Old 08-11-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Centerforce dual friction is good so is the spec 3
Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1rob00
Yup, that's what I recommend as well. My Monster Level 2 will be here this week. I got the F-Body direct fit package, along with the lightweight flywheel and remote bleeder. Can't wait to get it in! I'll let you know how it works out. The clutch is rated for 550hp/tq and the package comes with everything you need! I payed a little over $800 for everything.
will it work with stock flywheel? cuz i just planned on having the flywheel turned a little and i have a rubber coated mesh tube with bleeder valve on it so i have easy access to it.....pretty much all i think i really need is press. plate, clutch, and slave with throwout

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Do u know what the difference in the DF and DFX is and whats better at what cuz im lost as to whats so different about them
Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Look into diamond clutchs, the stage 2 would work great for you. Also you can use the stock flywheel on the stage 2 and it is only $409.
Here is a the link to the site http://www.diamondclutch.com/ hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

So if i was to go centerforce can someone explain the difference in the DF and DFX and can anyone tell me what kind of street driveability the ram, monster, centerforce, and spec clutches have

Originally Posted by 2000SSMAN
pretty much all i think i really need is press. plate, clutch, and slave with throwout
I almost forgot i will need pilot bearing and prob an alignment tool
Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I almost forgot i will need pilot bearing and prob an alignment tool
You can use the stock flywheel . ws6store has the spec 3 for 404 I think with free shiping..

So if i was to go centerforce can someone explain the difference in the DF and DFX and can anyone tell me what kind of street driveability the ram, monster, centerforce, and spec clutches have
I know when i had my centerforce DF it felt good and drivability was great. Seem to engage bad ***.. I like the spec 3 also
Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

I know when i had my centerforce DF it felt good and drivability was great. Seem to engage bad ***.. I like the spec 3 also
How long did it last? What kind of driving....hard/normal? How much hp/tq did u have?
Old 08-11-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How long did it last? What kind of driving....hard/normal? How much hp/tq did u have?
I did alot of racing .. and normal driving, it never went out on me. My t/a made 432rwhp with a center force df. My ss had around 420..I assuming cause of the combo I had but I never dynoed it. It had the spec3 and that clutch never went out on me also.. Sold both cars

I got a good deal on a c6 z06 clutch so im going to try it
Old 08-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

I did alot of racing .. and normal driving, it never went out on me. My t/a made 432rwhp with a center force df. My ss had around 420..I assuming cause of the combo I had but I never dynoed it. It had the spec3 and that clutch never went out on me also.. Sold both cars
Ok thanks man......did u ever have any speedo probs with either of ur cars....mine doesnt start workin until ur gunning it in about 3rd or 4th and odometer barely moves

Originally Posted by LS1rob00
Ok let me know how it goes man

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE ADVICE....Any other opinions that could be added would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for all the recommendations for our Stage 3. It really is an awesome set-up but if 2000SS is looking for the best drivability possible then he may be happier with our Stage 1 or 2 based on his output and usage plans. Either way I am sure we can provide a clutch to suit your needs!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Thanks for all the recommendations for our Stage 3. It really is an awesome set-up but if 2000SS is looking for the best drivability possible then he may be happier with our Stage 1 or 2 based on his output and usage plans. Either way I am sure we can provide a clutch to suit your needs!
can i get a list of hp/tq ratings for each one please
Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/2000/Single

You can see the torque rating on the link above. It is beneath the part# and above the price. Clutches are rated by torque because this is the factor that directly affects them. Take a look and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 12-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Teching In

blackbird0230 and LS1rob00, I'm looking into buying the Monster Level 2. What is the difference between the direct fit and the basic? And how is it holding up? Would you recommend it?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 AM
Staging Lane

I would put a monster in it....its a great clutch.....thats what i ended up going with....has great drivability and grip....just make sure you do the break in period of 500 miles cuz you will definitely notice it setting in during that period and make sure you do full 500 miles.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Launching!

I'm pretty much going with the Centerforce dual friction also.
Except that I'm attaching it to a 14 pound steel fly wheel.
I'd like to hear from any Centerforce guys running the dual friction unit and how they like it.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

I have a diamond stage 2 in my bolt on car

it's a daily driver, I have 10k miles on it so far

Quick Reply: Best clutch for the $ ls1