Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch rattle...normal? opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default clutch rattle...normal? opinions?

Noticed today when I shut the car off a rattle from the clutch.. Car was in neutral, clutch disengaged (car doesn't do it with the clutch engaged). Searched around a bit and found some different things, some info suggested it is normal for some of the M6 vettes. Just coming here to get a second opinion... let me know what you guys think.

Car has a stock clutch, less than 20k miles on it.

First two times, clutch was disengaged. The last time, clutch was engaged, and no rattle.

not entirely sure how to embed tinypic video..
http://tinypic.com/r/ar1aw/7
Old 06-07-2017, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having the same issue on my camaro. Anyone have an answer?
Old 06-08-2017, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Throw out bearing on the end of the slave. When it gets really bad it will make noise all of the time except when you push down on the clutch pedal and it contacts the clutch pressure plate
Old 06-08-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Throw out bearing on the end of the slave. When it gets really bad it will make noise all of the time except when you push down on the clutch pedal and it contacts the clutch pressure plate
Yup. And if your symptoms are opposite - noisy with pedal in and quiet with pedal out - that's usually pilot bearing.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought the T/O bearing was only doing work/loaded with the clutch pedal in (clutch disengaged). I had frequent T/O bearing failures on an old Mopar 4 speed (833). It eventually made considerable noise with pedal pushed in. Never a sound with clutch engaged. That trans had to have some type of clearance/misalignment issue I never found.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's typically not an internal bearing that actually fails, if I recall the ls1 throw out bearing is a pressed in piece that rests on the end of the slave. The case suffers damage and you can hear the bearings rattle inside the case. When the slave pushes it into the pressure plate it pushes the case back onto the bearings like it should normally be seated and the noise goes away. I could be mistaken though but that's what I remember
Old 06-08-2017, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a buddy with a lt1 and a buddy with a ls1 car (t56...) Thiers rattle as well. I just did a swap so my sound deadening is out. it sounds terrible on my car because of it (me paranoid about any noise). My throw out bearing is new as well as the one on my buddies ls1 car. My mind is at ease.

Quick Reply: clutch rattle...normal? opinions?