Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

04 gto t56 problems!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 gto t56 problems!

ok i just bought a 04 gto last saturday, and less then an hour later i hear what i thought was a noisy throw out bearing, drove it anyways. then i tried going into reverese and every once in a while it wouldnt go it and grind when i let the clutch out so a little struggling and it goes into gear fine. also noticed that every once in a while it will "pop" out of 2nd, i swear i put it in all the way but then again idk,

now after work today (very bad day) i wanted to bang a few gears. 1st gear spun , 2nd spun , 3rd pulled like mad, decided 95+ = big ticket so straight to 5th, so i thought. it ended up grinding the **** out of it so i tryed again, and again and agian. nothing well lets try 6th, nope locked me out. coasted to 35mph and 4th worked fine then 5th worked perfect and 6th too.

soooo i guess my question(s) are w is going on here?? thank god i bought the extended warranty with it that covers EVERYTHING!(wearable parts not covered) please someone tell me that its not clutch related i dont want to pay labor for a not clutch throw out, ect. i think im one of the few people that are praying its an internal issue. lol

thanks,
colin

**** Does any of this sound like possible synchro problems? talked to guy from trans shop he said most likely they are the problem maybe shift fork(s) too, but he doesnt have tools/time to do it for me.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 2004 gto trans in my z28. I was having the same issue going from 2nd to 3rd. i had all the sycros replaced and it helped. I have notice the the trand does not like wot shifting and it took me a while to get to shift at high rpms. I have heard about using different trand oil but I have stuck with the trans fluid that it tells me to use on the side of the trans.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by bluenightmare
I have a 2004 gto trans in my z28. I was having the same issue going from 2nd to 3rd. i had all the sycros replaced and it helped. I have notice the the trand does not like wot shifting and it took me a while to get to shift at high rpms. I have heard about using different trand oil but I have stuck with the trans fluid that it tells me to use on the side of the trans.
well i let completly off trying to go into 5th engine was still coming down but maybe 4000-3500rpm nothing super high, i could see if i was at 5k then maybe but, even at idle clutch in didnt want to go it.

does any one else hear a clunk from rear when clutch is in, not moving (at stop light), and shift into 1st??
Old 09-29-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I say clutch hydraulics would be a great place to start.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:04 AM

well if im driving normal, and taking it easy its fine nothing grinds or is hard to put into gear. ive heard of alot of people having slave cylinder problems, what starts going on if it starts showing signs of going out?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way and it gets worse when it gets hot. Try bleeding the hydraulics. You might still have air in it. You might need a new slave and/or master.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:26 AM

yea dropping it off monday at trans shop he owes me a favor so he will check it out and diagnos it for me im hoping its either something simple like that or internal failure,(warranty covers it) so thanks guys ill let you no the vertic monday.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deviant LS1
Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way and it gets worse when it gets hot. Try bleeding the hydraulics. You might still have air in it. You might need a new slave and/or master.
I agree, that would be the best place to start. A clutch that isn't fully disengaging will not allow smooth high rpm shifting and will destroy the synchros in the tranny, so is definitely something you should get looked at asap.

Quick Reply: 04 gto t56 problems!