Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

wtf? trying to install master cylinder for t56 conversion...

Old 10-02-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wtf? trying to install master cylinder for t56 conversion...

so i installed the pedals and drilled the holes where the holes in the pedals were. now it seems as though when i pull the nuts tight the pushrod is at a funky *** angle

how does this install look? are my pedals bent or otherwise fucked up or something? this should bolt right up i would think. used a 2" hole saw so id even have some clearance but something just seems wrong..

Old 10-02-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

from this side of the internet it looks like the "2" hole" you drilled for the MC is to far over to the DS...

I assume there is only one way to bolt/mount the pedals

maybe slot the slave holes to move it over??

or is there any diffrence if you "180" the slave orientation so it bolts to the opposite holes it is in now?

Maybe someone who did the F-body swap can chime in. Mine was on a B-body with a diffrent pedal/slave config
Old 10-02-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's the thing...bolted pedals in to see where the holes should be and thats where I drilled em.. I dunno some pics of factory holes would be best I guess
Old 10-02-2011, 05:15 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You could slot the top hole up and to the right to rotate the cylinder and straighten it out a bit.
But, that's not that big an angle. the round end of the rod will push the master cylinder piston without issue and the side-load will be less than an engine rod on a piston.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

angle is much worse when cylinder is tight against the firewall. Guess I don't understand how those holes are there in the pedals but don't line up at all
Old 10-02-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im agreeing that that angle doesn't look THAT bad in the picture. If you said its worse when its torqued down, can you get a picture of that? I did the swap, but i went with a Tick master so i can't really speak to the stock master angle.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ******
or is there any diffrence if you "180" the slave orientation so it bolts to the opposite holes it is in now?
^^^^^^^??
Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
^^^^^^^??
If you're talking about the master, the way the "collar" is around the master is set so the angle of cylinder to firewall is permanent, so if you 180'ed it, the master would point straight down at the floor, it wouldn't work.

Its hard to describe it, but if you saw the master, you'd realize that it wouldn't work.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

^^ yeah I understand...thanks for clarifing

I use F-body hydraulics in my swap and see how the base flange of master is angled
Old 10-02-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok think i have it all figured. believe my car was in an small accident before i owned it that slightly screwed with the firewall. the frame rail is very close to where the master mounts so being slightly tweeked was throwing it off very slightly. down by that stud below the master cylinder the paint is chipped/flaked underneath the carpet, also this way outsite on the firewall. not a lot of damage just enough to screw me right now

believe i have an ok angle now im happy with it.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Veteran

from the pic it looks like you could add a washer between MC colar and fire wall (engine side) to move it. that may compensate for the damage from the accident on the fire wall position

very close now and may be just fine the way it is.

doing a A4 to T56 swap has it challanges for each car. You will love the mod when it is finished

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wtf? trying to install master cylinder for t56 conversion...