Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

5.3/T56 just got running and now no reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3/T56 just got running and now no reverse?

Hey all. I'm hoping you can give me a good idea at least of what this could be. I have a 3rd gen TA with a turbo 5.3/T56 combo. Just got it running last week and I have no reverse. I have tried putting it into reverse before starting the car, and while it's running but nothing works. I can feel the lockout solenoid being overpowered when putting it into reverse, and it goes up and feels like it clicks in, but the car does not move when you let off the clutch. All forward gears work like they are supposed to. BTW car has a textralia Z grip clutch installed. This is boggling my mind because I could have swore that when the tranny was out, I put it into reverse and spun it and it worked fine. I bought the tranny used and am really hoping I didn't get fucked over on it. Anyways, any ideas on what may be causing this?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

open door, use your foot to push yourself backwards.. lol jk.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump....anybody? Now that I think about it, when I slide it up into reverse, I don't remember actually feeling it "click" in to gear. I loosened up the stop on my hurst shifter just to check if that was preventing reverse from engaging and still nothing. Someone has to have an idea of what to check. I'm a noob with manual trannies!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump...
Old 10-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

synchro or clutching teeth on the gear are bad. Thats my guess. Lucky for you reverse is in the tail housing so it can be pretty easily fixed IMO. If it were mine, pull the tranny, pull the tail housing and check it out, probably be obvious.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zbinkley
synchro or clutching teeth on the gear are bad. Thats my guess. Lucky for you reverse is in the tail housing so it can be pretty easily fixed IMO. If it were mine, pull the tranny, pull the tail housing and check it out, probably be obvious.
I was actually curious if just the tail housing had to come off to service the reverse section. Thanks for confirming that. As far as pulling it out, looks like I may have to at this point, as shitty as that sounds to me. Just got the damn thing running less than a week ago and now shes coming apart again lol. Man, it never ends. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I hear ya on the never ending part. I've come to realize that you need to have a mindset that, pulling the tranny is no big deal. I've had some pretty sh1tty luck with mine. In and out about 4 times in last few months. On the floor mind you. Good luck tho. Looks like a cool build anyway. 6 speed cars are FTW!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zbinkley
Yeah I hear ya on the never ending part. I've come to realize that you need to have a mindset that, pulling the tranny is no big deal. I've had some pretty sh1tty luck with mine. In and out about 4 times in last few months. On the floor mind you. Good luck tho. Looks like a cool build anyway. 6 speed cars are FTW!
Hopefully my luck isn't THAT shitty lol. But I guess it's not too bad since the bellhousing doesn't need to come off or the clutch. I actually just took the car around the block and the forward gears work great. I got home and shut the car off and for kicks threw it in reverse. Well wouldn't you know it went in and upon letting off the clutch the car rolled slightly and then stopped like it was in gear (I was on a hill). I stepped on the clutch and started it and when I let off I had no reverse again. WTF!!! This is a very odd problem. I'd hate to pull the tranny if thats not it.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Make sure you havent reversed your skip shift plug and the reverse lockout I have done that before and it feels like it is going into reverse but it really isnt. Fairly easy to do seeing as they both have the same plug.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wades SnS
Make sure you havent reversed your skip shift plug and the reverse lockout I have done that before and it feels like it is going into reverse but it really isnt. Fairly easy to do seeing as they both have the same plug.

I did this once. Switching plugs fixed it!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

i did an a4 to t56 swap on my o2z and deleted the skip shift and reverse lockout solinoids and went thru hurst driveline for the plugs to replace them guys are right its something simple. they were proud of their plugs 30.00 apiece for a chunk of aluminum. dont worry i pulled mine twice . and then wrecked it so thats 3 trans pulls in 4 months. but like the guys say its amind set. i'm a fat old man lying on my back in my garage. but to have them stink and run makes it all worthwhile!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 5.3/T56 just got running and now no reverse?