Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Synthetic Mobile ATF for T-56?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Synthetic Mobile ATF for T-56?

So I'm swapping my clutch and doing a fluid change while I've got it out. I did some searching but yeiled little results specific to my question. I run Mobile fluids in my engine and rear end and am very happy with the results. Is their synthetic ATF a good fluid for these tranny's? I know when I worked at a GM dealership years ago when these cars were still new we use to service them with regular GM synthetic Dex III ATF. The Mobile I found at the local parts store says its Dex III compatable. Any opinions or advice on it? Thanks guys.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for some reason, the t56 does NOT like any other fluid but the dexron... dont ask me why. I did a clutch swap and put in expensive synthetic fluid and I couldnt get the damn thing to go into gear smooth to save my life.. I took it back out but in the process, i spilled my new 'expensive' **** so I put dexron back in it... problem went away.. I didnt know till some time later what I had done... stick with oem recommendations.. dexron will not let you down...
Old 12-06-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
for some reason, the t56 does NOT like any other fluid but the dexron... dont ask me why. I did a clutch swap and put in expensive synthetic fluid and I couldnt get the damn thing to go into gear smooth to save my life.. I took it back out but in the process, i spilled my new 'expensive' **** so I put dexron back in it... problem went away.. I didnt know till some time later what I had done... stick with oem recommendations.. dexron will not let you down...
Right I get the regular Dex III part, but the stuff we pumped from the tanks at the dealership was synthetic Dex III. So I guess I'm confused as to why an after market synthetic is no good? It has royal purple in it now with no complaints...just thought I would run Mobile in everything on my car, unless people are having serious issues with Mobile ATF.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you got rp, and it works, stick with it.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Im sayin is I had bad luck with it.... but you have to remember, the only time anyone says **** is when its messed up so you may not have a problem with it... If it were no good, they wouldnt sell ANY... It's up to you bud, just be aware that it could cause a problem so you know where to look if your tranny starts acting like its on crack..
Old 12-07-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is not a real "clean" answer to this. It depends on thefriction material that is in the box. ( blocker lining). The paper composite lining can have a bad reaction to synthetics. The carbon-particle linings are more forgiving and survive the synthetic ATFs. 4th gen T56 had paper from the factory. Most rebuilds are done with the carbon parts. The real reason to use any synthetic is high temp stability over time and a higher viscosity( slightly). With paper linings the risk is not worth any gain...best to stick with DexII-spec. non-synthetic. That said, I have seen good long term results with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It also depends on the existing wear of the blocker rings. Synth. fluid won't cure wear problems in T56's like most people hear/see with Synth engine oils, and rear lubes. If a T56 is converted to Synth soon after a new rebuild breakin period, it will give the benefits most people expect. If you use it in a high-mileage T56, you may find it's friction characteristics result in poorer performance. For the same reasons, you don't want to break-in a new rebuild on Synth...
Old 12-07-2011, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to run mobile 1 untill i started burning up clusters, its to thin and watery for my likings, switched to royal purple and love it. heard very good things about amsoil as well

Quick Reply: Synthetic Mobile ATF for T-56?