Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can I use heater hose to replace my reservior line?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can I use heater hose to replace my reservior line?

Just want to know if Ican go down and get some heater hose to replace my master cylinder reservior line since mine is crushed and I'm installing a new Tick master cylinder. Thanks guys.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:29 AM
Troll Banned For Creating Multiple Accounts (thebigjmsho, JimmyHemroid, AND Junior1))

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

umm....no. Heater hose is for water not brake fluid. It will turn to s**t
Old 12-10-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cadzila
umm....no. Heater hose is for water not brake fluid. It will turn to s**t
OKay, thank you. That was my thinking but I would rather ask than complain about the leak later.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know about that,,,,, Heater hose is rubber, the reservoir hose is rubber, Brake lines to the caliper are rubber, Dont know if there are different compounds but I dont think the brake fluid will eat the hose, but I am not sure. I know the reservoir hose is really thin, and heater hose, even some vacuum hose is considerably thicker.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RARON455
I dont know about that,,,,, Heater hose is rubber, the reservoir hose is rubber, Brake lines to the caliper are rubber, Dont know if there are different compounds but I dont think the brake fluid will eat the hose, but I am not sure. I know the reservoir hose is really thin, and heater hose, even some vacuum hose is considerably thicker.
I cant speak for the brake fluid problem, but there are different types of fuel line. A good example is hose thats designed to be submersed in fuel (in-tank apps) compared to standard fuel line.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Just grab some appropriately sized fuel hose from a local auto parts store. Most of them will say on the package what it is compatible with but most automotive grade hoses that work with gasoline also are fine for brake fluid as well.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Bird
Just grab some appropriately sized fuel hose from a local auto parts store. Most of them will say on the package what it is compatible with but most automotive grade hoses that work with gasoline also are fine for brake fluid as well.
Thanks.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Bird
Sorry, this is not true.. Only rubber hose listed safe for brake fluid or silicon hose should be used. Fuel safe hoses can still sweat (best case) or dissolve (worse case) in the presence of brake fluid. If the hose dissolves, it will take out the seals in your master, your slave, or both...
Old 12-12-2011, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

^ Correct
Old 12-12-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Sorry, this is not true.. Only rubber hose listed safe for brake fluid or silicon hose should be used. Fuel safe hoses can still sweat (best case) or dissolve (worse case) in the presence of brake fluid. If the hose dissolves, it will take out the seals in your master, your slave, or both...
Great info, thanks. I don't need a new hose. Was just going to replace it because its hard to clean out. I don't want to contaminate my new tick m aster cylinder, and slave for my newmonster clutch.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
I have personally never had a problem crossing them before but if you can find stuff specifically rated for brake fluids then it is the better option. Personally I prefer tygon tubing. It is good for about everything on the planet. Get it by the foot at home depot or lowes.

Quick Reply: Can I use heater hose to replace my reservior line?