Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Disengages Too Quickly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Disengages Too Quickly?

Haven't driven my car in a while due to the winter-time weather and conditions, but I took it out just a little bit ago for a drive.

When I shift, it almost feels like the clutch is dropping. But, what I realized was that the clutch fully disengages within an inch or so after the freeplay. It shifts perfectly fine like that.

So, in short, it disengages early, but engages late.

Sound like a worn clutch?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:51 PM
FormerVendor

The fact that engagement and release are occuring in the upper range of pedal travel could evidence wear. Though it seems that you are indicating that this has occured since you stored the car, meaning that it was not like this when you put it away but now it is. Is this correct?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The fact that engagement and release are occuring in the upper range of pedal travel could evidence wear. Though it seems that you are indicating that this has occured since you stored the car, meaning that it was not like this when you put it away but now it is. Is this correct?
Precisely.

It didn't make much sense to me either. Last time it was driven, it was fine with no sticking, slipping, etc. Just the all too common issue with the master which I was going to replace after Christmas anyway.

I'm not too sure myself. Only thing I can really think of is trying to teach this chick how to drive a few days beforehand.... Dropped the clutch all too much. So perhaps it is time to give it a swap.

These winter projects keep adding up... And it doesn't help that it's actually getting cold now.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:37 PM
FormerVendor

Having someone slip the clutch repeatedly, as new drivers are apt to do, will cause much faster wear. I think you may have found the issue, or at least part of it!

Quick Reply: Clutch Disengages Too Quickly?