Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

reuse F/W,P/P from my LS7 clutch kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reuse F/W,P/P from my LS7 clutch kit?

I have 30k daily driven miles,10+ street tire passes at the track on my LS7 clutch kit I installed in 09' and I'm wanting to purchase a new disk if its possible. I would for sure use my micrometer to check material thickness on flywheel and have my buddys speed shop even the surface to the right specs for the PN(LS2) as far as I know. But as long as the p/p isnt cracked or glazed over and its within specs of the material thickness shouldnt I be able to just install a new LS7 disk for $190 as opposed to $480 for everything again, I mean I had prolly 25k of the 30k miles highway conservative miles and 10k miles I had 4.10's in the rear with seemed easier on the drivetrain during normal throttle. Also I installed a new 01-02 slave cyl and I did the drill mod if thats matters at all. I dont want to shim the slave, and is there any other clutch kit comparible to the ls7 kit with daily driving but offers a little more grip at the track because I had the ls7 clutch slip on 2 runs with fuzion ZRi's with only 1.9 60' and went 12.76@112mph, also 1 DR tire pass with 1.6 60' went 12.49@111 both with 3.42's. I like the looks of ACT brand, but LS7 did me very good compaired to my SPEC stg 2 that went out after 2k miles, no track runs or anything and SPEC.....well I wont even go there..........any opinions on disk replacment only or a good clutch kit for less $$$ than ls7 would be appreciated.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:42 AM
On The Tree

nobody has installed the LS7 clutch kit in a 98-02 F body and just replaced the disk only when it wears out? Every clutch install I've done I was able to have the F/W resurfaced or like my LS clutches ive done for other people I have the F/W surfaced to what they call for because most lsx f/w's taper a little from outside to inside, or I've had to shim the slave. I have never messed with the LS7 kit besides installing the KIT which is more than my right jacking arm is worth!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

You would probably be fine doing so, but without seeing everything it's hard for someone else to say. I like to scuff up any surfaces that are not freshly machined to aid in break in also (like the pressure plate side in your case). The factory style pressure plates are self adjusting (SSAC) and have a ratcheting mechanism built in that needs to be reset. Search around and you should be able to see how this is done.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:59 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

The LS7 clutch is sooo finicky, that I wouldn't dare even try doing such a thing lol
Chances are that it'll somehow not work once installed. I've been there too many times, now to the point where I don't like to install this kit.
I'd get a better clutch anyway, as the LS7 is nothing but a stock (overrated) clutch. Not just trying to sell my product, lol, but it really is much better and just as streetable. Diamond Stage 2 basic kit is only $369 shipped. But then you'll need a flywheel. I have a used billet flywheel thats been resurfaced for 165 shipped, or a stock LS1 flywheel, resurfaced, for $75 shipped.

Quick Reply: reuse F/W,P/P from my LS7 clutch kit?