Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Recommend me a Clutch/Flywheel Combo

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Recommend me a Clutch/Flywheel Combo

Well I bought an LS1 from a member on here and had already dyno'd 416whp my goals for the car/motor is going to be daily driving and occasional road racing. It's going into an M3.

The PO had a Mcleod Twin Disc in his T56, but unfortunately sold the trans separate so I'm going to put a clutch/flywheel in the T56 I put on the car. I don't think I need something as heavy duty as the Mcleod Twin Disc, but deff something stronger and lighter then stock.

I was originally thinking an LS7 clutch kit, I'm not looking to go over 500-600whp so it should be plenty and price is right. A lightweight flywheel is pretty important to me, but I don't want to have the car re-tuned from going to light.

Hopefully there are any other suggestions out there, thanks guys
Old 01-03-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think the ls7 would be alright. Just don't launch with a sticky tire. I ran one with my H/C and loved it.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a monster level 2 or 3 with their aluminum flywheel. You can get their kits with a new slave and pilot bearing at a reasonable price. Grab you a tick master cylinder while your there (if you don't already have one )and you'll have a set up that can't be beat. I just installed their stage 1 kit, because it better serves my needs as a stock dd but I couldnt be happier. When I'm ready to upgrade I'll be going back to them.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

I run an LS7 with a 12.5 Fidenza in a 3200lb 420ish rwhp car and love it. Have the FW and PP balanced together before installing. Low gears make a light FW more enjoyable to drive. If your car is heavy with tall gears, you won't like it.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Lots of good clutch firms out there.
Just ask around and see how many run what and are happy with them.
Anything upgraded from stock will run much better.
Stay away from the race stuff on the street, it will not be nice and useable.
I went to a 14 pound steel flywheel for the street.
You have to take the whole assembly weight into consideration when going lighter.
It's good to reduce the mass diameter if you can though.
Good luck.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Bsaint, You mention road racing...do you mean street racing or running the car on a road course? I just want to make sure we are on the same page. Either way I am sure that we can assist you with a clutch that meets your needs. In truth based on your power level the Stage 1 we provide would be fine. But if you plan to go bigger and badder in the future its better to have a clutch that can handle the job. We also provide steel and aluminum flywheels too. Is this set-up being installed in your M3 or something else (if so, I am officially jealous)? Either way, take a look at the link below and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/2000/Single
Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks everyone some good suggestions

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Bsaint, You mention road racing...do you mean street racing or running the car on a road course? I just want to make sure we are on the same page. Either way I am sure that we can assist you with a clutch that meets your needs. In truth based on your power level the Stage 1 we provide would be fine. But if you plan to go bigger and badder in the future its better to have a clutch that can handle the job. We also provide steel and aluminum flywheels too. Is this set-up being installed in your M3 or something else (if so, I am officially jealous)? Either way, take a look at the link below and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/2000/Single
Thank you, yeah Road Course, VIR, Summit point, NJMP, driver schools and eventually a dedicated track car. (not a whole lot of drag strip)

The car weighs around 2,700 lbs right now with the motor and cage. So roughly 2,900 with me in it, I'm keeping the stock 3:23 gears in it I like being able to cruise on the highway at low RPMs not looking for a straight line stuff, but don't want to run into any problems if I do.

Thanks for the info I'll check it out.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Check out Diamond Clutch. Jason at TDP has complete kits diamondclutch.com I have the stage 2 in my car and love it I also have the tick Adj master.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Staging Lane

I'm running a SPEC 2+ and a lightweight flywheel right now. It's a little overkill for my current set up, but I have lots of room to grow. A couple people that have driven the car think it's a little grabby, but I don't notice it much anymore. As long as I'm not in bad stop and go traffic, that is. I've been very happy with it.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That will be a bad *** car to drive! We just built a t56 for a member here that does road racing and drifting in his Ls1 powered rx7. we blocked out 5th and 6th gear and he is running a diamond stage 2 clutch with chromoly flywheel.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our level 2 is in numerous road racing cars/street cars without any issues. Give us a call and we'll get you taken care of.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:43 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 00ws6indubv
Check out Diamond Clutch. Jason at TDP has complete kits diamondclutch.com I have the stage 2 in my car and love it I also have the tick Adj master.
Thanks !
Old 01-08-2012, 01:44 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

To the OP, I'd suggest the Diamond Stage 2 complete kit. They are on sale for $699 shipped (normally 759+ship). This kit is rated at 550rw and drives near-stock. The complete kit includes a new chromoly flywheel and new GM style slave cyl. w/ TOB.
Also, if you need a T56 transmission, we sell those too. Built and ready to go for $1900 outright. Give us a call and we'd be glad to put together a package deal for you for even a better price.

Originally Posted by Bsaint
Well I bought an LS1 from a member on here and had already dyno'd 416whp my goals for the car/motor is going to be daily driving and occasional road racing. It's going into an M3.

The PO had a Mcleod Twin Disc in his T56, but unfortunately sold the trans separate so I'm going to put a clutch/flywheel in the T56 I put on the car. I don't think I need something as heavy duty as the Mcleod Twin Disc, but deff something stronger and lighter then stock.

I was originally thinking an LS7 clutch kit, I'm not looking to go over 500-600whp so it should be plenty and price is right. A lightweight flywheel is pretty important to me, but I don't want to have the car re-tuned from going to light.

Hopefully there are any other suggestions out there, thanks guys
Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
FormerVendor

I have personally tracked out 2+ and 3 and really liked both options. Either would provide more than enough capacity. The 2+ will be a bit more drivable but the 3 really isn't bad at all. I would then do the Aluminum flywheel and if you want to really lighten things up further the aluminum plate option. This is ideal for a car that is more road-race focused. If it were mine I would go full Aluminum (the Aluminum plate options means the pressure-plate will be rebuildable in the future) and the Stage 3. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks everyone! you guys are awesome!

Originally Posted by TDP
To the OP, I'd suggest the Diamond Stage 2 complete kit. They are on sale for $699 shipped (normally 759+ship). This kit is rated at 550rw and drives near-stock. The complete kit includes a new chromoly flywheel and new GM style slave cyl. w/ TOB.
Also, if you need a T56 transmission, we sell those too. Built and ready to go for $1900 outright. Give us a call and we'd be glad to put together a package deal for you for even a better price.
I think thats what I'm going to go with, and I might take you up on that Trans & Stage II clutch kit very very soon!!

Quick Reply: Recommend me a Clutch/Flywheel Combo