Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

lightweight steel flywheels for Mcleod RXT

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Default lightweight steel flywheels for Mcleod RXT

Any good ones that fit well? The center opening can't be overly large (6 1/4" max) otherwise the inside of the disk will not contact the flywheel surface.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Nobody knows of a decent light weight steel/chromoly flywheel? I looked at the EBAY ones, but can''t bring myself to use it even though it has had a few good reviews. Car will be int he 600-800whp range so. The ebay one has the ring gear teeth machined into the metal rather than a pressed on hardened gear. Seems a little iffy.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

crickets
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Anybody using a RXT with that chormoly f1 racing flywheel? Anyone have the flywheel in hand and can measure the width of the inner friction surface for me?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slowride
Anybody using a RXT with that chormoly f1 racing flywheel? Anyone have the flywheel in hand and can measure the width of the inner friction surface for me?
I am. The inner friction surface is just a bit big and the very inside of the clutch disc pads don't touch (~1/8"). Mine works fine, no release issues at 7200rpm and holds great at ~700rwhp & 3900lbs. Best clutch I've ever driven.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

I thought I noticed you had the RXT from some searches and the chromoly flywheel in others Have you had the flywheel long and ever inspected it? Did the flywheel come with the dowel pins or bolts? I'm sure from the looks of the car it's seen quite a bit of 1/4 mile track time also.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put the clutch/flywheel in last spring and probably only have less than 1000 street miles and ~20 passes on it. Have not removed it for inspection and barring any problems this season, probably won't until next winter. The flywheel came with dowels, no bolts.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Anybody else running this flywheel? If you have inspected it share the results please.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine out right now, I posted hows its been and pics new, and with miles in my build thread.
I'm running a RAM billet steel flywheel, and it is a little off the disc.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

I did see this I think when searching. Care to measure the inside of the disks and flywheel just for reference? Might help others in future searches, etc. I'm more curious to see the relibility of the chromoly flywheel and if there is any warping issues with it, etc. If I remember what Billy from Mcleod told me on the phone the opening in the center of the flywheel needs to be 6.25" or smaller to hit all of the disk. I know a Spec flywheel is right at 6.25" so I'll probably just run that if I don't go with a lightweight one.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

By chance I was at the machine shop today and someone had this same flywheel with the engine parts they brought in. Flywheel looked nice, but it seems like the friction surface is not quite level with the outer ring where you bolt the pressure plate. I would think this could cause disengagement issues, but you guys seem to not have any. Looks like you would have to take .005" or so off the entire surface to make the entire face of the flywheel flat all the way out to the end where the bolt holes are for the pressure plate..

When you bolt the RXT's adaptor plate on it seems like it wouldn't be quite flat.

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I am. The inner friction surface is just a bit big and the very inside of the clutch disc pads don't touch (~1/8"). Mine works fine, no release issues at 7200rpm and holds great at ~700rwhp & 3900lbs. Best clutch I've ever driven.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

that quote is talking about the ID of the flywheel, were the flywheel bolts go. The ID of the RXT disc is smaller then that hole so the disc overhangs the inside of the flywheel
Like this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/15835688-post682.html

If you had a step on the clutch face, that would be a problem. Was it a new machined surface, or was it used and were were felling the slight step were the disc OD doesn't contact. That will wear a small step on a met. disc.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Well I know it will wear into the flywheel over time, but what I'm saying is the ebay flywheel's friction surface is slightly TALLER than the outer ring where the pressure plate bolts on. If you look at the pictures on ebay, etc. you can see that the outer ring area of the flywheel looks like a darker color compared to where the disk will ride. The area where the disk will ride is just slightly elevated if you know what I mean. If you put a stright edge across the flywheel when new it would rest on the friction surface and not touch the outer ring where the pressure plate bolts go. (out by the holes they cut into it for weight reduction)

The disk will overhang just about a 1/8" in the center as stated above on this flywheel. I just don't like how it's not flat all the way across the flywheel.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

call ebay
Old 03-04-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Yea I think not I was just looking for a suitable lightweight flywheel that isn't aluminum. Not much out there in steel that I could find. I'll probably just run the spec one as it's ~6.25" inside (should hit all of the disk), friend stocks it and I know it's flat/well made (had one before).

Quick Reply: lightweight steel flywheels for Mcleod RXT