Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Weird Clutch Nosie

Old 04-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Clutch Nosie

So occasionally when I was stopped and in second gear I would be releasing the clutch and all of a sudden I would get a weird grinding/chatter sound. Now it is happening in first gear and second gear and is getting for frequent. Do I need a new clutch?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Teching In

From your post it sounds like you are starting out in second gear and not first? This is very hard on the clutch and probably warped it. Does it slip?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
FormerVendor

It sounds like you are describing clutch chatter. If this is occuring when the pedal is being released, as you are pulling away from a stopped position?

As mentioned, starting in second gear is harder on the clutch as it requires you to slip it more than normal. This can cause greater heat and wear on the clutch. Have you noticed any evidence of slippage (rpm raising without the car gaining speed) in the upper gears?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
It sounds like you are describing clutch chatter. If this is occuring when the pedal is being released, as you are pulling away from a stopped position?

As mentioned, starting in second gear is harder on the clutch as it requires you to slip it more than normal. This can cause greater heat and wear on the clutch. Have you noticed any evidence of slippage (rpm raising without the car gaining speed) in the upper gears?
No slippage

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird Clutch Nosie