Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bell Housing Carnage and a Question or Two

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Bell Housing Carnage and a Question or Two

Early April, I had my 02 Z28 on the dyno to tune for the intake and exhaust changes I did. It put down a very nice torque curve, peaking at 450wtq through my stock 10 bolt. I was VERY pleased with the improvements, but knew the rear end was on borrowed time. I had an S60 built and awaiting the end of the dyno session, but the yoke let loose at the end of the last pull and the driveshaft commenced with operation rain-on-my-parade... the driveshaft was dinged badly in a couple places, my torque arm was dinged in a few places, the ebrake was disconnected, the DS tunnel was distorted, the clutch pedal was stuck to the floor, clutch fluid everywhere and the bellhousing was "shattered".

Well, I finally got to rip into the car this week. Surprisingly, the rear end was PERFECT except for the destroyed yoke straps! The ebrake was just disconnected so I reconnected all of that, the torque arm was salvaged and I decided I would make a lamp out of my driveshaft... to be done after the repairs.

I've learned my lesson and I've installed a driveshaft safety loop. I'm gathering parts and inspecting the transmission before determining if a rebuild is necessary, but I have a question regarding the clutch. You can see a piece of the bellhousing actually got stuck in the clutch pressure plate (LOL!)... but the clutch overall looks fine externally (to my untrained eye, mind you...)

So my question is, are there measurements I can take with the clutch installed to determine if it needs to come out for replacement? Thanks for any input, guys!
Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

create a lever that lets the chunk out. Inspect the diaphragm. If you can't see it fully, take it to a clutch and brake re-liner shop.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmd
create a lever that lets the chunk out. Inspect the diaphragm. If you can't see it fully, take it to a clutch and brake re-liner shop.
Whoops, should have mentioned the small chunk in that picture came out easily... it wasn't wedged firmly like the picture would suggest What diaphragm should I be inspecting? Is it in the pressure plate? What should I look for, tears?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump, any more input on inspecting this assembled clutch?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump, anyone? How do I inspect this clutch?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump! Guys, I seriously need an answer... Monster has not responded to my message and I've got everything (minus a clutch) to reinstall the trans!

Driveshaft lets loose on a dyno and the bell housing is shattered. Clutch pressure plate exterior visually appears to be fine and input shaft is not visibly bent. Can I reuse the clutch/flywheel without taking it off? Is there anything in particular to inspect/measure to verify? Help!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:18 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Diaphragm is just the belleville spring black steel piece that makes up the pressure plate fingers. I misunderstood originally the chunk to have wedged in between the PP housing and the diaphragm. If the alum. chunk did nothing but scratch black paint off and you can see no other damage, it sounds like you're good to run that PP.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmd
Diaphragm is just the belleville spring black steel piece that makes up the pressure plate fingers. I misunderstood originally the chunk to have wedged in between the PP housing and the diaphragm. If the alum. chunk did nothing but scratch black paint off and you can see no other damage, it sounds like you're good to run that PP.
Indeed, it did nothing more than scratch the paint. Awesome, thanks for the good news!
Old 05-12-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is no obvious damage then it's probably okay. I would at least remove the PP and disc and inspect them thoroughly.

Quick Reply: Bell Housing Carnage and a Question or Two