Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Balancing flywheel and clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Balancing flywheel and clutch

I ordered my Mcleod RST clutch and Billet Steel Flywheel from a dealer last week.

It arrived today. I have a question regarding the balancing. Are the LS2 engines neutral balanced from factory? Because there is a sticker on the Mcleod flywheel that says "this flywheel for internal balanced engine only" Is it necessary to bring the clutch with the flywheel to a machine shop to have it balanced?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in short yes... in theory you dont need to because they are both nuetral balanced but tolerances can and willl be off. i had my mcleod and fidanza balanced as an assembly and they were a good bit off when put together
Old 11-04-2014, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

My McLeod "zero" balanced FW was 25 grms off...due to the 4 taped holes on it where a weight would be attached if it was for a external motor. I believe McLeod uses another company to make their FW's which come in neutral or stock balances...the only difference between the two part #'s is the same FW but whether it comes with a weight or not

Machine shop just put screws/washers = 25 grms in the holes. FWIW I send any FW & PP out for balance to a machine shop regardless whether the manufacturer says it is zero or not. In every case some adjustment's were made by machine shop. Clutch swaps are a big job so don't roll the dice, get it checked by machine shop. Yeah it "may" be fine, your call.
Attached Thumbnails Balancing flywheel and clutch-mcleod-fw-balance-25-grm.jpg  
Old 11-04-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ******
My McLeod "zero" balanced FW was 25 grms off...due to the 4 taped holes on it where a weight would be attached if it was for a external motor. I believe McLeod uses another company to make their FW's which come in neutral or stock balances...the only difference between the two part #'s is the same FW but whether it comes with a weight or not

Machine shop just put screws/washers = 25 grms in the holes. FWIW I send any FW & PP out for balance to a machine shop regardless whether the manufacturer says it is zero or not. In every case some adjustment's were made by machine shop. Clutch swaps are a big job so don't roll the dice, get it checked by machine shop. Yeah it "may" be fine, your call.
Good feedback. This is exactly why we offer balancing on our McLeod clutch components. Like stated above a clutch install is simply to expensive and too much work to settle for "close".

Link to McLeod Clutch Selection

Old 11-07-2014, 04:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it reccomended to balance the pressure plate with the flywheel?
Old 11-07-2014, 07:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You would want the flywheel balanced alone then bolt the clutch up to it and balance the clutch with it assembled. This will ensure that not only is the assembly at 0 but then if you ever change the clutch and keep the flywheel that it will still be ok because it was balanced separate
Old 11-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Teching In

thanks for all the replies.

My past builds, i had always neutral balanced my engine and the machine shop balanced my flywheel, or flexpate and clutch while they had the crank, rods, pistons and balancer. I had never had them balanced separately. Being that i am just upgrading my clutch along with the flywheel on my GTO, i was not sure.

Dropping off the flywheel with the clutch at the machine tomorrow to have it balanced.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if your current motor is "neutral" balanced then you need a neutral aka zero balance FW & PP

Quick Reply: Balancing flywheel and clutch