Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just ordered my MGW Shifter: Install Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered my MGW Shifter: Install Update

Hey everyone,

After a few days researching on here, I have decided to go with the MGW Shifter for my Formula.

I figure it's one of the things I will use the most, why not upgrade the stock one I have now.

Thanks for all the help, the decision was after positive review, after positive review, after positive review.

Last edited by xxKennyDxx; 07-10-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Really? All positive? I see 50:50 reviews... I wana know what you think... Keep me updated
Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My buddy has one in his and i honestly love it. I think some of the reviews people give are on the nay side because they are used to a smooth stock shifter. If that's what you're looking for stay away from the MGW or really any good short shifter for that matter.

The mgw transfers some of the vibration from the transmission because is doesnt have isolators in the handle. The throws are also really short and 1st gear is almost where 3rd is on your current shifter. These short throws and movements make the shifter take more "effort" to move and thats what people dont like. However when I drive it I feel much more confident than with my b&m. The mgw practically finds 3rd gear on its own pushin up from 2nd..
Old 07-04-2012, 01:25 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I love mine! It takes a few heat cycles / couple good drives to loosen up though, if that makes sense.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the left-right motion to select a gear is reduced quite a bit which is a good thing. Also the 2-3 shift is much quicker and easier to hit. Great shifter.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shifter is very nice. Does take a little bit of getting used to.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Guitar
Shifter is very nice. Does take a little bit of getting used to.
Considering I've only had this car for a few months and drive it a few times a week if that....I don't think it'll take too much to get used to lol.

Thanks for the input guys.

Another question I have, since I have the Hurst shifter and it sits pretty decent IMO, does this short throw have a slightly shorter stick than the hurst?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xxKennyDxx
Considering I've only had this car for a few months and drive it a few times a week if that....I don't think it'll take too much to get used to lol.

Thanks for the input guys.

Another question I have, since I have the Hurst shifter and it sits pretty decent IMO, does this short throw have a slightly shorter stick than the hurst?
Most likely, on a side note do you want to sell your H ****?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Most likely, on a side note do you want to sell your H ****?
Haha, let me see if I can buy a nice black **** ball (lol...man that sounds wrong) from Hurst.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha, let me see if I can buy a nice black **** ball (lol...man that sounds wrong) from Hurst.
^^^ check out WS6Store for your ****... lol
Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Should be here on Monday, pretty quick shipping MGW!!

I may have off Wednesday, I looked at a few write-ups with step by step pictures. I think I may try to tackle this one myself, this doesn't seem like rocket science.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Should be here on Monday, pretty quick shipping MGW!!

I may have off Wednesday, I looked at a few write-ups with step by step pictures. I think I may try to tackle this one myself, this doesn't seem like rocket science.
^^^ "so easy... A caveman can do it"
Old 07-07-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine for about 500 miles in my silverado. I like it a lot but it stopped centerting from the 5-6 to 3-4. It will center from 1-2 to 3-4 though. I put a longer stick on mine too to get it through the center console.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

OP, when I originally installed my MGW shifter, I thought holy crap, this thing is notchy and takes a crapload of effort to shift. Throws were pretty short, but side to side movement and shifting gears took a herculean effort compared to stock. It got a little smoother after 400-500 miles, but still a little annoying.

One day, I decided to raise the stick up about an inch. I was really only doing this because the height was a little too short for me - I felt like I almost had to reach down to grab it as opposed to being able to rest my elbow on the mid console when I shift. When you install it, you will see that the stick has some adjustability. This COMPLETELY fixed all the issues people complain about. Effort became very close to stock (and I mean STOCK-stock, not Hurst shifter stock). It was like a completely different shifter, all from just raising it about an inch.

After this adjustment, I enjoy it FAR more. Stock-like effort required for shifting, but still feels like it is rock solid going into gear - never have to worry about missing a shift. If you feel like yours is too stiff, I highly encourage you to give it a try. Hope you enjoy the shifter!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

One more thing - make sure to use LIBERAL amounts of that RTV silicone gasket that comes with the shifter when install it. I did this and have zero noise/vibration from my shifter - feels just like stock in that regard also. See the shifter install write-up on LS1how to (or maybe install university, i can't remember which) for instructions and pictures on how to do this.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Onyx, I will keep that in mind. LS1.com has a write-up on the second page for the MGW: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f65/how-ch...hifter-159249/

Little by little, this Fbody is coming together!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys,

Well I got my MGW shifter from UPS and installed it myself.

I used the write-up from the site above. The hardest part was getting the damn cigarette lighter clip off lol.

I put everything back together, took me about two hours (The last mechanical thing I've even done was an oil change on this last week lol)

What a difference. The 2 to 3 shift is like butter now. Hell, all the shifts are so much more positive....I couldn't stop driving it earlier lol.

The only thing I do notice, is there is a little bit of noise coming from the shifter handle. From reading, I understand it's because there isn't the dampener on the MGW like the stock one. It's a little noisy if I really get on it from 1st to second....but I am OCD and am used to stock. Nothing a little music can't tune out. Upon further reading, I see some others have used ways to sound deaden it. I can't say it really is a downfall for the shifter, I understand there is more metal to metal contact-- so in reality it's to be expected. Don't let my situation make you second guess it-- I have heard many have zero noise at all.

My only problem, and this isn't shifter related...I must have messed something up because my TCS light does not come on nor does my cigarette tray. Good reason to give up smoking, lol. TCS still turns on and off on the dash, it just doesn't have the little light near the part I took off to remove the console. To be honest, as long as nothing is going to short out...I'm just going to leave it alone.

A little more effort is required to shift...but to be honest....it's not much! Throws definitely feel shorter. If you are on the fence about getting one of these-- DO IT. I will make an update after a week or two of driving with it, since it's hard to base how firm it is without some break-in time.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, some damn good advice on this forum.

Just ordered my MGW Shifter: Install Update-imag0937.jpg
Just ordered my MGW Shifter: Install Update-imag0936.jpg

Last edited by xxKennyDxx; 07-10-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2win_SS
Really? All positive? I see 50:50 reviews... I wana know what you think... Keep me updated
2win- I will get some more driving time tomorrow if the rain stops, but man....there is a noticeable difference!!!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Just an update:

This shifter is great, period. Very good shifts, like clockwork.

Quick Reply: Just ordered my MGW Shifter: Install Update