Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can you install a speed bleeder on the slave cylinder without removing the trans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you install a speed bleeder on the slave cylinder without removing the trans?

Title says it. Plan on installing the Tick master and would like to make bleeding easier. But dropping the trans doesn't make anything easier!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Launching!

it sucks but you have to drop the transmission to install the speed bleeder
Old 07-14-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it but not with a speed bleeder. I made my own (with help from some friends) and then had to make a small cutout location in the floor. Search for a thread I started about three years ago if you want to take a look.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As convenient as having a hole in trans tunnel for the slave would be, I just cannot bring myself to do it.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Launching!

The previous owner already cut a hole in mine. Not a big issue. I didn't know it was there until I had clutch issues and went to bleed the system. Where can I find a stock bleeder screw to modify? Is the fitting a standard fitting I can buy at a hose shop?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The thread was started in AUG 2008 my bad. The thread is self explanatory so you would have to call around on who sells the AN fittings and lines. The place I found the parts at all did the brazing work which was nice to have it done all at one place. As far as a stock bleeder screw if your original is not available you might want to contact a vendor on here that does trannys and see if they sell them or your local parts store.

For those that frown on cutting the tunnel believe me it was not my first choice. I am not a fan of rigging something up just get by. This mod is necessary IMO if you are unable to drop the trans at your convenience. It also serves as an access location for any servicing needed. My car has done a lot of sitting but to date no leaks and neither on the original car it has been installed much longer.

Last edited by ssgunny; 07-16-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

honestly I used the Mity Vac to bleed mine and took all of about 3 mins. I know its not the actual way but I had a speed bleeder that kept leaking and I didn't want to pull my trans for about the 6th time. I used that and worked great.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Launching!

From what I gather, the stock bleeder seals by the flared end seating in the slave cylinder while the aftermarket bleeders seal by a gasket being crushed against the slave cylinder? The issue with the aftermarket bleeder is the slave cylinder doesn't have a machined face for the gasket to seal against?

What is the issue with using a vacuum bleeder? My tunnel is already cut, so I peeled the carpet back and stuck a tapered fitting on the end of my vacuum bleeder hose and sucked the fluid through the bleeder screw. What is the possible issue with this method? I have read that assisted bleeding is frowned on and the old school method is preferred.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not sure how the aftermarket speed bleeder connects to the slave but they seem to have good success with their connections since I don't see any problems on this forum.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Wait till you change your clutch or just go ahead and drop the tranny. A remote bleeder should become a stock part for manual cars. Just sayin'.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Old thread......seems to me the remote bleeder is over kill, but a speed bleeder would be great. Do they sell much shorter bleeders? I also heard of copper crush washers leaking.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they sell them in all sizes on ebay even a 6" and 12" iirc. however I dont think its over kill. to bleed my clutch i just simply pop the hood open the bleeder into the jar and pump the pedal, the screw has a check ball in it so it doesnt have to be closed between pumps. if i had a short one i would have to jack up the car and crawl underneath. my buddy has run a speed bleeder for years and i have also and not one problem. people forget copper washers were used on old brake systems for years and barely ever had leaks so i dont think thats a goo arguement
Old 02-22-2015, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redbird555
they sell them in all sizes on ebay even a 6" and 12" iirc. however I dont think its over kill. to bleed my clutch i just simply pop the hood open the bleeder into the jar and pump the pedal, the screw has a check ball in it so it doesnt have to be closed between pumps. if i had a short one i would have to jack up the car and crawl underneath. my buddy has run a speed bleeder for years and i have also and not one problem. people forget copper washers were used on old brake systems for years and barely ever had leaks so i dont think thats a goo arguement
My main concern is if the copper washer doesn't quite seal, trans have too come right off. Having worked on old cars, they do leak at times upon initial install, but I agree once they are sealed, they work fine.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Are there bleeders out there now that don't use the crush washer?

Quick Reply: Can you install a speed bleeder on the slave cylinder without removing the trans?