Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is there a trick in installing the tranny

Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a trick in installing the tranny

Okay so the clutch and and everything thing is bolted to the engine and the bell housing and now I'm trying to get the tranny to bolt to the bell housing I just can't seem to get it is there a trick to it or something? And I did use the alignment tool
Old 07-15-2012, 03:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue is usually a combination of input shaft disagreeing with the pilot bearing and the disk splines. All you can really do is rotate the input shaft a little until it goes in. Whatever you do, do NOT use the bolts to "pull" it in. You WILL destroy the pilot bearing. Putting the trans in 6th (makes turning the input shaft the easiest) and rotating the drive shaft while someone pushes then tranny in can work too.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure the alignment tool slides in super easy. If it's off just a little it will make it harder to line things up. I replaced my pilot bearing last time I replaced the clutch and it was a PITA to get the tranny back in.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Also, make sure that there is no risidual pressure on the release bearing. You can crack the bleeder valve and compress the bearing to its fully depressed position to release any pressure that might be there. Let us know what you find!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Launching!

When I did my clutch I used a tranny jack from Harbor Freight. It made life much easier in regards to lining up the tranny for reinstallation.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

try a diff alignment tool ive had some that dont fit for **** or ive wrapped electrical tape around the end that slides in the pilot bearing for a more snug fit to help align it straighter and centered
Old 07-27-2012, 02:29 AM
12 Second Club

bought the harbor freight trans jack also, makes life SOOOOO much easier if you are not working on a lift
Old 07-27-2012, 09:57 AM

The Harbor Freight Trans jack was a must for me. One other tip, when I pulled mine 4 times before figuring out I was sold the wrong clutch/PP combo I realized it made it MUCH easier to put an extra jack and LIGHTLY lift the front of the engine at the balancer. For some reason my engine was tilted forward slightly and the shifter housing was against the floor of the car. By lifting the front of the engine it tilted just enough to give me room to get the trans in and now I do this every time.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default trans mounting

If $$ is an issue and you dont have funds for a tranny jack, place a crow bar inside the car where the shifter would be located. then run rachet straps around the mid/rear of the trans while using your arms to place the trans into place. It is simple and I usually have an extra strap towards the front in the event that my ***** cave in. Hope this helps but I do understand this is not the most preferred method.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there a trick in installing the tranny