Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 shifter won't move after hard shift

Old 10-27-2019, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default T56 shifter won't move after hard shift

Long story short I have a 120k mile 98 Camaro Z28 LS1 T56.

It's always had synchro issues between 1-2 and pops out of second when downshifting. No big deal.

Last year I did a hard shift into 5th and now it won't go into that gear anymore, it'll just grind.
I've been planning a rebuild for this winter anyways.

So today I did a hard pull and tried to slam it into 5th but it just grinded horribly and wouldn't let me in. After there was a horrible burning smell (doesn't smell like clutch or anything I recognize & no leaks) so I pulled over and the shifter wouldn't move at all from it's neutral position. It won't move into any gear unless you use 2 arms and really put a lot of force into it. Doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out or the car on or off. You can't even wiggle it back and fourth like I do at stop lights lol. I was able to muscle it into 4th and cruise home but then it took all my force to get it back to neutral. It slides straight down into 4th nicely now but stuck from going left right or forward unless you really force it and wiggle it in there.

Any guesses as to what I broke?

I'll post updates when I eventually take it out and open the case. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2019, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like you have been breaking it for quite awhile. Its likely got many broken parts. I can guarantee its' not a simple fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T56 shifter won't move after hard shift