Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need Torque Specs For Shifter Assembly!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Torque Specs For Shifter Assembly!

I am installing Bob's Shifter Gaskets and therefore I need to know what the torque specs are for the shifter base plate and the shifter handles as well. I need to know so that this way I dont kill the gaskets.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

in for knowledge!
Old 05-22-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

If your talking about the 4 bolts that hold your shifter to your tranny,,,, its not much, your T56 tail shaft will not like being overtorqued and will strip those threads out very easily,,, ask me how i know. Its very small, 13 ft lbs.
Im not sure on the handle....

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 05-22-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great, thats what I meant. As far as I know there aren't any other pieces that hold the shifter assembly to the tranny other then that base plate with four bolts going thru it. Instructions say to be very careful in not over tightening this part due to it breaking the gasket.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:04 AM
TECH Regular

FYI That is still too much. Ask me how I know...just put 13 ft lbs on my wrench and stripped those bolts. Just the three small ones on the front, well lets see how it holds up.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Striker
I am installing Bob's Shifter Gaskets and therefore I need to know what the torque specs are for the shifter base plate and the shifter handles as well. I need to know so that this way I dont kill the gaskets.

Thanks in advance!

I know this is an old thread but just in case this thing pops up for someone who's searching for the bolts torque, I put the specs in here. It is 15 ft pounds
Old 11-16-2019, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The original question was what's the torque spec of the shifter bolts. A post from the manual showed the 15 ft-lb spec. There was a post that this was too high because he had stripped the threads. A few things that affect this. Aftermarket shifters have a thicker base plate. If you use the original bolts, you will get less thread engagement. In that case the torque spec should be reduced . The original question was for a torque spec following a gasket installation. Not knowing the gasket thickness, but it is significant, the thread engagement is a concern factor , again. combining a gasket and an aftermarket shifter should require new, longer bolts.

Quick Reply: Need Torque Specs For Shifter Assembly!