Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I am afraid the Tick master cylinder didn't fix it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am afraid the Tick master cylinder didn't fix it...

My clutch refused to shift from first to second one day a couple weeks ago. No prior issue, just all of a sudden it said no thanks. Won't engage any gear now. I hoped it was the master cylinder, so I ordered the Tick master cylinder. Install was fairly easy. I bled the system until the pedal was firm. I removed the return spring as per Tick's instructions. I adjusted the pedal until it was about a 1/2" higher than the brake and still no go. I stopped at that point because Tick's instructions said the pedal would be below the stock height due to higher flowrate of their cylinder.

Any suggestions? Any chance there is still air in the line? The pedal is very firm, much firmer than before. I really don't want to drop the trans....
Old 07-21-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure of the condition of the slave cylinder?? did you see any leaked fluid fron the inspection/dust cover while doing the swap?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Launching!

The slave isn't leaking. Is there a cover I can pull off to inspect the slave w/o dropping the trans?!?! I didn't think there was one.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thinking it's a slave or clutch problem if it's still not going into any gear with the old master and the new Tick. I'd think it was a bleeding issue if the pedal was now kinda stuck to the floor or only coming up a 1/4 or 1/2 the way up slugishly, but if you have pedal pressure and the clutch pedal comes all the way up it's pointing to the slave or clutch. I know you don't want to do it but you'll either have to have someone else drop the tranny or you can if that's the case.

Just to let you know I dropped my trans and changed my slave by myself in a parking lot with a jack, two jack stands, and a crummy Autozone tool set. Took me from 8am-7pm, no breaks, and I had never done it following an online write up. Just to give you some hope if you've never done it.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/lear...all_638399.htm
Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Launching!

I have done plenty of transmissions and clutches to know I don't want to do it! SKill is not the issue..... Thanks for the advice though.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya, I'm getting to the point where when I finally have to have my clutch replaced I just want to pay someone to do it. It's a PITA!!!

Quick Reply: I am afraid the Tick master cylinder didn't fix it...