Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Lt1 and t56 grinding in 1st and 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 and t56 grinding in 1st and 2nd gear

Hey wondering if you guys could help me out with a problem I'm having.

I have a lt1 and t56. Just put a new prebled master cylinder, clutch, and pilot bushing. When I installed the pilot bushing it was slightly dented around the edges from hammering it in with socket but looked good in the center.

Ran good for about 600 miles now out of no where my trans is grinding in 1st and 2nd gear. It seems like the input shaft keeps spinning for a second before I can shift into the gear. If I wait a second for it to slow down it shifts into gear with no grinding. Is it possible that the input shaft is binding to pilot bushing? Or is clutch not fully disengaging? Also lifted up back tires and depressed clutch pedal with it in 1st gear and tires spun about half a rotation when i reved to 4000 rpm.

Do you think it's pilot bushing related or hydraulic related?

Or transmission related?

I am looking forward to your response.

Thank you!
Old 01-03-2020, 08:17 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I would assume this is hydraulic related. (A bearing problem would inhibit spinning.)

Did you measure your throw-out clearances when you put your new clutch in? Did you replace the throw-out bearing? What kind of master did you put in?
Old 01-03-2020, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
I would assume this is hydraulic related. (A bearing problem would inhibit spinning.)

Did you measure your throw-out clearances when you put your new clutch in? Did you replace the throw-out bearing? What kind of master did you put in?
No I didn't measure clearances I'm going to look into that. I put a new Valeo clutch kit that I had laying around for a few years the throw out bearing was in the kit. I also put a prebled clutch master and slave cylinder from perfection clutch. So it's not adjustable. I'm going to look into the clearance thing you are talking about.

Thank you
Old 01-03-2020, 12:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

hopefully it is the clutch not releasing properly due to some hydraulic/slave issue.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:52 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by cstuef007
No I didn't measure clearances I'm going to look into that. I put a new Valeo clutch kit that I had laying around for a few years the throw out bearing was in the kit. I also put a prebled clutch master and slave cylinder from perfection clutch. So it's not adjustable. I'm going to look into the clearance thing you are talking about.
If your new slave/throwout bearing is too far from the clutch fingers, then you may need to shim the slave cylinder to get the clutch to release properly: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html

There's a lot of other information on the internet and some videos on how to do this. It's a little bit of a PITA and you'll need to drop the transmission again - and if you need a shim, you'll need to wait for it, but you'll know for sure.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Blocker rings came apart...liners separated from the steel.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
If your new slave/throwout bearing is too far from the clutch fingers, then you may need to shim the slave cylinder to get the clutch to release properly: .
This is a LT1 "pull" clutch...not like a LSx clutch where shims may be involved
Old 01-18-2020, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

you did put the new pilot bearing in correctly (read not backwards)?

Did you keep the plastic cup on the end of the new slave?

Old 01-20-2020, 07:01 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by ******
This is a LT1 "pull" clutch...not like a LSx clutch where shims may be involved
thanks

Quick Reply: Lt1 and t56 grinding in 1st and 2nd gear